'Die' as a pronoun

p4l

South Korea - Korean
Hallo!

I have heard somewhere that 'die' can take on the role as a pronoun. But I can't remember if it is for 'Sie' of for 'sie' (they); and can it only be used at the beginning of a sentence if what I've heard is correct?

Thank you:)

• berndf

German (Germany)
    As a demonstrative, not as a personal pronoun. It is the same as English "that". Actually not only "die" (feminine and plural) but also "der" (masculine singular) and "das" (neuter singular) as well as oblique forms.

Kurtchen

German - Norddeutschland
    In addition, it can be a relative pronoun. Die Frau(en), die....
    Only third person sing./pl. though.

Hutschi

You should note that "die" as demonstrative pronoun is usually no good style if you mean a person (it has often a pejorative character), but it is fully accepted as relative pronoun.

I learned from my mother "Der steht im Stall und die steht daneben." This shows the pejorative character quite well.

Kurtchen

German - Norddeutschland
    You should note that "die" as demonstrative pronoun is usually no good style if you mean a person (it has often a pejorative character), but it is fully accepted as relative pronoun.

I learned from my mother "Der steht im Stall und die steht daneben." This shows the pejorative character quite well.

Haha, ya I remember that from kindergarten. Pointing with your finger would make matters even worse...

Man zeigt nicht mit nackten Fingern auf angezogene Leute!! :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >