die Aufgabe sei es, Zivilisten zu schützen

Dupon

Chinese
UN-Generalsekretär Ban Ki Moon sagte, die wichtigste Aufgabe der Soldaten sei es, Zivilisten zu schützen.

In my understanding, "es" represents all the part of "Zivilisten zu schützen" which is the predicative of the verb "sei".
And could I also omit "es" like ", die wichtigste Aufgabe der Soldaten sei, Zivilisten zu schützen."?
I think here "es" should not be mandatory, in many cases of the structure "zu+verb", "es" is not used.

Thanks!

• Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    You may omit es. I'd leave it, though, as it sounds good. :)

I don't think it's mandatory as per grammar rules since it's not needed here for what it's often needed for elsewhere, i.e. keeping the finite verb in second position.

Last edited:

Dupon

Chinese
    Thanks for the answer. And what do you mean with "keeping the finite verb in second position"? Do you mean the verb in the main clause before "zu+verb"?

You may omit es. I'd leave it, though, as it sounds good. :)

I don't think it's mandatory as per grammar rules since it's not needed here for what it's often needed for elsewhere, i.e. keeping the finite verb in second position.

Liam Lew's

If there's no clause (Satzglied) in the pre-field (Vorfeld - the position before the finite verb), an "es" is required as placeholder to keep the finite verb in the second position.

Im Haus steht ein Tisch.
    If we now want to alter the word order in such a way that all the clauses (Satzglieder) are after the finite verb, we have to add an "es".
    Es steht ein Tisch im Haus.

The finite verb = verb in the main clause that is being declined, that means not the "zu+infinitive", not participles etc.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >