eli7

Persian (Farsi)
Which preposition is correct here?

I was going to die of exhaustion.
I was going to die from exhaustion.

Last edited:
  • pob14

American English
    "Die of" is standard. "Die from" is, I think, dialectical; I think of the line from the musical Guys and Dolls: "Gotta have the game or we'll die from shame!"

national

English
    Hi, Die from implies the reason, i.e. hunger, cold, or accident that cause something to die. For instance, Those birds die from lack of food.
    Die of connects to some diseases, i.e. People are dying of cancer more often in recent years. So in your sentence, it is better to use die from exhaustion.

Andygc

British English
    Thank you. It was a complete and clear explanation.
    But sadly not wholly accurate for everyday English.
    He died of fright, he died of exhaustion, he died of hunger are all normal, idiomatic English. He died from fright and he died from hunger seem to me to be old-fashioned, but he died from exhaustion does not - I cannot suggest a rule.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Hey eli, don't get too discouraged. The truth is that you can't learn English perfectly because so often there aren't any rules at all. The selection of which prepositions go where is completely arbitrary, and very flexible. All you can do is keep speaking and practicing English with native speakers, and soon you'll be making the same mistakes they do!

MikeLynn

I heard, read... that people die OF decease, but FROM external causes like injuries, wounds and so on. Is that right? Thank you for your contibutions.
    M&L

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Today I read a text which contained " I was going to die from fatigue" and the teacher told me it must be of and we dont have "die from"! the only possible answer is "die of". Also he said it is a litterally translation From farsi to English! and natives don't say "I was going to die to..."
    Is it correct?!!

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Here is a simple rule* that makes learning so easy: always use "of"

*not everyone knows this rule and therefore some people use "from" but you will know you are correct! ;)

Andygc

British English
    I heard, read... that people die OF decease disease, but FROM external causes like injuries, wounds and so on. Is that right? Thank you for your contributions.
    M&L
    You might have read it in post #3 in this thread. Like most English language rules, it is not correct - because the English language is not a system of logic, but an evolved and evolving means of expressing thoughts and communicating information. As PaulQ wrote, if you choose to always use "die of", you will get along fine with native English speakers.

sdgraham

USA English
    Not really, but your problem is logic , not grammar.

Your problem is that "cold weather" is not a cause of death. The average winter temperature in Oymyakon, Russia is -50 C., but people don't all die there

You might say that five people died from hypothermia during the cold weather, however.

marsbeing

Thanks Graham. I think what you said makes sense.

So can I replace "died from" with "died of" in your example sentence? In other words, can I say "Five people died of hypothermia during the cold weather."?

Andygc

British English
    Thanks Andygc. I did but I just wanted to be on the safe side. I am sorry if you found my question offensive. I didn't mean it to be.
    Offensive? Of course not. You were asking a question that had been answered already, which was a bit of a surprise. :)

WildWest

Turkish
    Hello. The sentence below was taken from Cambridge Online Dictionary:

"He was rushed to hospital but died from his injuries."

My question is, is it likely to rewrite it as follows?:

"He was rushed to hospital but died of his injuries."

It apparently is, to my non-native ears. Thank you in advance.

< Previous | Next >