die off/out become extinct

stanley

Germany / German
All the dialects in Germany become extinct.

All the dialects in Germany die off.

All the dialects in Germany die out.

Which one is correct?

• Packard

USA, English
    You need a conditional word in there to make these sentences make sense.

All the dialects in Germany may become extinct.

All the dialects in Germany will die off.

All the dialects in Germany should die out.

The words in red are suggestions. I don't know what you really intend to say.

Ecossaise

English
    Ok thank you very much.
    I wanna want to say that the dialects in Germany get lost...
    How can they get lost?

Dialects can be superseded by common speech; they can die out because there is no one who uses them.

What exactly do you want to say?

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Another vote for "die out" here.

But few languages really die out. They can be "on the edge of dying out", but I doubt they will ever truly die out.

And, I think "extinct" is mostly used to refer to the end of species.

Packard

USA, English
    Another vote for "die out" here.

But few languages really die out. They can be "on the edge of dying out", but I doubt they will ever truly die out.

And, I think "extinct" is mostly used to refer to the end of species.

I climbed the volcanoes in Mexico when they were still "extinct"; they are very active now.

We call things "extinct" when we think they have disappeared (or in this case, inactive). It is difficult to say that something disappears. Just because you don't see it, does not mean that it is not there.

I think "extinct" is the wrong word here.

Also, what is meant by "dialects"? A little specificity would be beneficial.

Perhaps:

Many of the dialects of German have become hidden as fewer and fewer people speak them in public. Eventually they will become lost languages.

Harry Batt

USA English
    Extinct seems to be final. We could say that Latin has died out or is extinct even though it is studied in many schools. I suspect that Stanley is looking for a word or expression in between extinct and invigorate. Eg., The German dialects are barely surviving. I'll wager that they will die off in time.

< Previous | Next >