die wondering

rumistar

Korean
Hi :-D

I asked the meaning of "Don't die wondering" about two weeks ago.
I encountered two sentences with "die wondering" again
1. Never Die Wondering
2. I said to myself this January that in 2011 I wasn't going to die wondering.
The sentences are from here, http://www.boylepokerblog.com/never-die-wondering.php

I am totally mixed up now. I can't understand what they mean.
So, could anyone help me? I want to know the meanings of two "die wondering".

I always thank you all on this website

• AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    To never die wondering means that a person should do (all) the things he/she wants and dreams to do, instead of regretting the things they didn't do.

JamesM

Given the context, I would say that "wondering" here means "having an unsatisfied curiosity about something", in particular, how things might have turned out differently if I had made different choices". The man who is writing the blog is taking a big risk where he might lose everything, but he would rather take that risk than die with the unanswered question of how things might have been different if he had taken that big risk.

(Slow to post... I agree with AutumnOwl. :) )

Copyright

American English

rumistar

Korean
    Mmm ... I'm not sure why you would think the meaning has changed in two weeks. For me, "die wondering" still means what I suggested in this thread about Don't die wondering: Don't die wondering about things -- go explore them, get involved.

You'll also find the sentence ending with "What if?" -- Don't die wondering, What if? -- as in this previous thread.
    I thought that they have respective meanings. :eek:
    Now I come to think of it, I got vagarious ideas about that expression.

Last edited:

rumistar

Korean
    Given the context, I would say that "wondering" here means "having an unsatisfied curiosity about something", in particular, how things might have turned out differently if I had made different choices". The man who is writing the blog is taking a big risk where he might lose everything, but he would rather take that risk than die with the unanswered question of how things might have been different if he had taken that big risk.

(Slow to post... I agree with AutumnOwl. :) )
    Thank you so much for your explanation. :) Can I ask one more question?
    Dose "die" mean "to stop living" as per usual?

rumistar

Korean
    Yes. To die wondering means that you go to your death with questions about how things might have been different.
    Thank you so much, JameM :)
    Now I need not ask about "die wondering" anymore. I've got it :)
    Thanks a lot

< Previous | Next >