died (on) Tuesday night

peter199083

Mandarin
I happened to find an article in New York Times, in which there is a sentence:

Dr. V. K. Wellington Koo, a Nationalist Chinese diplomat, a former Prime Minister and a signer of the United Nations Charter, died Thursday night at his home in Manhattan.
The grammar I was taught tells me that it is better to use 'died on Thursday night'. Could you please tell me whether I am wrong? Thank you.

• Biffo

English - England
    This looks like a difference between AE and BE.

In British English I would say, 'died on Thursday night'.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    In speech, in both BrE and AmE, we often leave out the article - 'I saw him Tuesday night' - but in BrE we tend to put in the preposition in writing. AmE speakers don't mind omitting the preposition in writing too.

peter199083

Mandarin
    Thank you both again. I just now came across another similar usage in a US-made film Blue Jasmine, wherein a girl says
    What are you doing Sunday afternoon?
    Now I am sure this kind of usage is acceptable colloquially, and likely in American context.

gerlesion

Vietnamese
    I just found out awhile a go that preposition can be omitted before days. And now I found it's even true for dates:

Duncan died Oct. 8 of the virus after nearly two weeks in the hospital
    Everything I learn from textbook became messed up now.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Most course books tend to offer models of 'good' English. In real life, even educated native speakers use forms in English that they would rarely write. It is sfne to use the language you have learnt with the help of books, but don't be surprised if native speakers do not always follow the rules.

< Previous | Next >