Difference between as long as , unless and provided that

< Previous | Next >

Luca Tufo

Italian
HI guys, could you tell me what's the difference between as long as , unless and provided that;
please, give me some example to understand better.

on my book I don't understand very well

thanks

• Chez

English English
    Please can you give us some examples, then we can tell you which would be the most appropriate in which context, and why.

We are here to help out with specific problems, not to give general information.

Luca Tufo

Italian
    Please can you give us some examples, then we can tell you which would be the most appropriate in which context, and why.

We are here to help out with specific problems, not to give general information.
    ok, thanks
    you can enroll in my club as long as you have the card
    you can enroll in my club unless you have the card

Chez

English English
    Thank you, It is much easier to help in a specific case.

you can enroll in my club as long as you have the card :tick: = if you have the card, you can enrol
    you can enrol in my club unless you have the card:cross: 'unless' only works in the negative: You can't enrol in my club unless you have the card = If you don't have the card, you can't enrol.

Luca Tufo

Italian
    Thank you, It is much easier to help in a specific case.

you can enroll in my club as long as you have the card :tick: = if you have the card, you can enrol
    you can enrol in my club unless you have the card:cross: 'unless' only works in the negative: You can't enrol in my club unless you have the card = If you don't have the card, you can't enrol.
    thanks you so much;

other examples :

1)I'll go to the party as long as you bring something to eat
    2)I won't go to the party unless I have nothing to do, so I'll free

are these correct ?

In the first example, Can I put "provided that" insted of "as long as"?

Chez

English English
    1)I'll go to the party as long as you bring something to eat :tick: Yes you can use 'provided that' here.
    2)I won't go to the party unless I have nothing (else) to do, so I'll be free:tick:Correct use of 'unless', but some corrections in blue.

Luca Tufo

Italian
    1)I'll go to the party as long as you bring something to eat :tick: Yes you can use 'provided that' here.
    2)I won't go to the party unless I have nothing (else) to do, so I'll be free:tick:Correct use of 'unless', but some corrections in blue.
    perfect, thanks so.. provided is the same as "as long as" ?

Chez

English English
    Please ALWAYS ask which one should be used in a particular context where you wish to use it. On this occasion, they have the same meaning, but one or other might not be appropriate in a different sentence.

analeeh

English - UK
    'You can enroll in the club, unless you have the card' sounds just about plausible to me, but it would have to mean 'you can enroll in the club as long as you don't have the card'.

Chez

English English
    Ye-e-e-es, we can often contort something into having some possible meaning in some possible context. I wouldn't recommend the OP-er bothers to try to memorise this usage, though, when already struggling with the basic usages of these terms..

< Previous | Next >