difference between betrothed and finacée

< Previous | Next >

tigerduck

German / Switzerland
Hello

Is there a difference between betrothed and fiancée?

In the following multiple choice exercise the key says that fiancée is the correct solution. However, I don't understand why betrothed doesn't work as well.

Let me introduce you to my betrothed/engaged/fiancée. We're getting married next week.

Thanks.

• Trisia

Romanian
    Betrothed means engaged, yes, but it can also simply mean "promised" (to be married).

You know, like in fairy tales, when the kind and queen had a son and their friends from across the sea had a daughter, so while they were still children the parents decided they would get married - that's being betrothed. It doesn't exactly sound like an engagement to me.

I don't know about your sentence. It works for me. Let's see what the native speakers think of it.

nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    Let me introduce you to my fiancée, Sarah.
    Let me introduce you to Sarah. I am proud to announce that she and I are betrothed/engaged.

3pebbles

English England
    hi tigerduck,
    They do mean the same thing but betrothed is archaic and hardly ever used today in everyday speech.
    hope that helps

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello

Is there a difference between betrothed and fiancée?

In the following multiple choice exercise the key says that fiancée is the correct solution. However, I don't understand why betrothed doesn't work as well.

Let me introduce you to my betrothed/engaged/fiancée. We're getting married next week.

Thanks.
    One obvious difference between betrothed and fiancée (note spelling) is that fiancée is sexually specific (it's a girl - fiancé is the male form);betrothed can refer either to a man or a woman.

I agree with 3pebbles that betrothed is a bit archaic.

< Previous | Next >