Difference between "chase " and "pursuit"

< Previous | Next >

yanjie.2009

chinese
Hello everyone,my questions are following:
If I want to describe that a boy is running after a bus ,it's correct to say "the boy is chasing a bus" ,can I use "pursuiting" to replace the bolded bit ? To my way of thinking , "chase" can be used for running after some moving objects like bus ,what we pursuit may be something in mind ,for example : pursuit the happiness ! Is that right ?
Another question , some person may say "the boy is chasing after a bus" ,In my opinion ,the underlined bit is redundant that can be deleted.
Can anybody make it clear for me !
Many thanks!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Not "pursuiting", but "pursuing" - the verb is "pursue".
    "Pursuit" is a noun - it is the activity of pursuing.
    I would say "running for" :)
    For some reason, to say that the boy is chasing or pursuing the bus doesn't sound quite right.
    But if you were happy with "chasing the bus" then "chasing after the bus" would also be OK.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Chasing is usually a simpler and more physical act than pursuit. And to my AE ear, chasing a bus sounds right. Pursuing a bus is something the police might do if it were stolen and giving chase.

Chasing is also faster than pursuit, more of a sprint-- although as a pursuit becomes touch-and-go or nears an uncertain end, it can be called "hot pursuit."

Pursuit can involve stealth and/or persistence, and you can pursue goals and concepts, answers and knowledge. And of course dreams.

By some perverse logic, if the pursuit is futile it becomes a chase, as in "wild goose chase." And I don't know about you, but of course I am always chasing rainbows.

Waylink

English (British)
    I would say "running for" :)
    For some reason, to say that the boy is chasing or pursuing the bus doesn't sound quite right.
    But if you were happy with "chasing the bus" then "chasing after the bus" would also be OK.
    To my ear, these have slightly different meanings.

To run for the bus would be appropriate when you mean that the person was running to the bus stop in the hope of catching the earliest bus possible (i.e. get there before the next bus arrives or before a bus already there departs).

To chase after the bus or chasing the bus would be appropriate if the traveller can see the bus ahead and s/he is try to catch up with it.

"Chasing" and "persuing" generally imply that person/animal/thing being chased/persued is ahead of the person doing the chasing/persuing.

"Running for", I think, does not necessarily have that implication.

Last edited:

yanjie.2009

chinese
    Thanks ,Waylink ,it's clear now.However , the sentence could be "the boy is chasing after the bus" or "the boy is chasing the bus" ?Please be kind to show your opinion !

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I am going to give an AmE answer, which may be different from Waylink's BrE answer. It may be different from the answers of other AmE speakers as well.

I myself ride buses. When I see the bus coming and I don't want to miss it, I run for the bus.

If I have missed the bus, and it is pulling away, when I hope it will stop for me or that I can catch it at the next stop, I chase after the bus. Sometimes I might run after the bus, too. I am not sure there is a difference.

< Previous | Next >