Difference between Digitized and digitally acquired ?

junobug

french
Hi everyone!

Could anybody help me with these technical terms. "Digitally acquired paintings" is the title of a paper about art restoration, I'm translating into French, my native language. I'd thought "digitally acquired" was the equivalent of the French word for digitized but then I founb in the paper the English term "digitize" whereas the expression "digitally acquired" had been exclusively used in the text. Is there a reason? Is there any technical differences between digitizing and "acquiring digitally" paintings ?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Junobug

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I can only think that digitizing is the process of turning an image into code (binomial) in preparation for enhancement, storage or transmission, whereas "digitally acquired" states (i) the means of transmission that led to the receipt of the image or (ii) the way the image had been originally created by (say) a digital camera/scanner/etc.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Usually, when an analog (as we engineers refer to the real life things) object is converted into electronic format, it is called "acquisition".

When it is done digitally, that is by various types of "A/D" converters, it is called "digital acquisition". This involves sampling of the analog signal (video/audio, else) with a certain frequency.
    But, for brevity, "digitized" is used instead.

So, as far as I know, there is no difference, if it is used in this context.

Wikipedia defines "data acquisition" as follows:

Data acquisition is the process of sampling signals that measure real world physical conditions and converting the resulting samples into digital numeric values that can be manipulated by a computer. Data acquisition systems (abbreviated with the acronym DAS or DAQ) typically convert analog waveforms into digital values for processing. The components of data acquisition systems include:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I looked about for an example that uses both terms ... and found one.
    To estimate the sensitivity of each of the CAD software systems to detect known cancers when applied to digitally acquired mammograms (digital CAD) and to digitized screen film mammograms (analog CAD). CAD II:
    http://www.acrin.org/TabID/725/Default.aspx
    It confirms my initial thought:
    A digitally acquired image or painting was created as a digital image.
    A digitized image or painting began life in analogue form (see above) and has been converted into digital form.

So, in my computer I have digitally acquired pictures, taken using my digital camera.
    I also have digitised pictures that were taken using my 35mm film camera and converted into digital form.

Edit - to include another example:
    With computer-aided detection (CAD) systems, a digitized mammographic image from a conventional film mammogram or a digitally acquired mammogram is analyzed for masses, calcifications, or areas of abnormal density that may indicate the presence of cancer.
    http://www.yalemedicalgroup.org/stw/Page.asp?PageID=STW023894

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Let's not forget that although digital camera outputs a picture in a digital format, it also (inside itself) processes an analog image into a digital format first. In a way, it is not that different from the scanner that digitizes an "analog" photo, though one uses CCD an another - a different type sensor.

Forero

I see the same difference that Panj does.

I have been digitizing things since before scanners were readily available. I would take a picture or a sample of calligraphy and painstakingly "sample" it and enter the "pixels" by toggling switches. I was digitizing, but I was not "digitally acquiring".

"Digital acquisition" can refer either to a kind of digitizing that is fully automated or to transmission of bits that never existed in "analog" form.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Nevertheless, the essential difference set out in the examples above is that a digitized image was originally captured in analogue form.

There are other examples, generally not from the field of clinical imaging, where there appears to be no distinction between the terms.

junobug

french
    This is very interesting and helpful for my reflection. Thank you so much everyone for your interest, thorough explanations with exemples and links !

< Previous | Next >