difference between floor area and built-up area?

sophiasophie

Chinese
Hi, suppose there is a two-story apartment (in a building), what's the word to describe the area of the land on which the entire building is built?
I guess it's floor area, am I right?

• RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I would call it the building's footprint.

WRF dictionary, Collins definition 2: the shape and size of the area something occupies: enlarging the footprint of the building, a computer with a small footprint

Copyright

American English
    I don't think that building footprint covers the actual site that the building is sitting on; instead, it sounds like the area covered by the building itself.

LeedUser: Building Footprint: Building footprint is the area on a project site used by the building structure, defined by the perimeter of the building plan. Parking lots, parking garages, landscapes, and other nonbuilding facilities are not included in the building footprint.

Copyright

American English
    Hi, suppose there is a two-story apartment (in a building), what's the word to describe the area of the land on which the entire building is built?
    Your question is a bit misleading. There is a building with an apartment inside, but that apartment has no bearing on the size of the land that the building is built on. There are three things here: the size of the land, the size of the building, and what's inside the building. Unless I'm mistaken, your question is about the size of the land.

sophiasophie

Chinese
    I might use plot/site area.

You didn't ask, but related to the floor area and the plot/site area is the plot ratio or floor area ratio: Floor area ratio. (Wikipedia)
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    Here is the thing: suppose there is a very big community in which there are a lot of buildings, and my apartment is in one of them. I just want to know the area of the piece of land under that building, rather than the site of the community. As my apartment has two stories, the area will be about half of the built-up area. Doesn't it sound weird to say an apartment's site area?
    Now I am thinking "coverred area".

sophiasophie

Chinese
    That would probably be the gross floor area if you are including both floors, one above the other.
    Thank you very much again. I have not made myself understood……. I am saying the area of the land under the building. Because it's just the land, it is about half of the gross floor area.

Wordnip

British English
    Then it is probably the floor area of the lower floor (or ground floor). However, definitions may vary from country to country so it is best to check with your local government department, or whichever department specifies such things, if you require a technically accurate description.

Copyright

American English
    In Hong Kong, we simply talk about the square footage, or square meters, of our apartment: Our apartment is 1400 square feet. I've not heard of anyone who measures the square footage of the building and then relates that to their apartment, although you could. If the apartments are side by side, it would be half the square footage of the building. If the apartments are on two floors, then it would be the same size as your building.

But if you're down at the community clubhouse chatting with neighbors, they're likely inquiring about the livable square footage of your apartment. Speaking of which, how and why are you using this figure?

Last edited:

sophiasophie

Chinese
    In Hong Kong, we simply talk about the square footage, or square meters, of our apartment: Our apartment is 1400 square feet. I've not heard of anyone who measures the square footage of the building and then relates that to their apartment, although you could. If the apartments are side by side, it would be half the square footage of the building. If the apartments are on two floors, then it would be the same size as your building.

But if you're down at the community clubhouse chatting with neighbors, they're likely inquiring about the livable square footage of your apartment. Speaking of which, how and why are you using this figure?
    You got what I mean. We don't talk about it either in daiy life, but it is a term frequently seen in contracts and real estate ownership certificates, so I want to figure out its english counterpart. Are you also Chinese? If you are, I can simply tell you the Chinese word.
    And, does the floor area of a building mean the totol of the floor areas of the houses in that building?

sophiasophie

Chinese
    Then it is probably the floor area of the lower floor (or ground floor). However, definitions may vary from country to country so it is best to check with your local government department, or whichever department specifies such things, if you require a technically accurate description.
    Thank you very much.

Copyright

American English
    I think "square footage," or perhaps even better, "floor area," as Wordnip suggests. The problem of the floor area listed in a rental contract not matching the actual floor area you'll find if you measure your apartment is well known in Hong Kong ... to the extent that for a calendar I wrote in 1997, I highlighted the discrepancies.

< Previous | Next >