Difference between Guest Professors and Visiting Professors

• Copyright

American English
    We need context, such as what educational institution and what country? And if you saw these expressions in a sentence, we need those.

Snappy_is_here

Japanese
    We need context, such as what educational institution and what country? And if you saw these expressions in a sentence, we need those.
    This is the context.
    "The Satellite Communications System Subcommittee (Chief Investigator: Takeshi Hattori, Guest (or Visiting?) Professor at Faculty of Science and Technology, Sophia University) started deliberating upon the ideal state and technical requirements of mobile satellite communications systems and relevant services using 2 GHz or other bands."

Copyright

American English
    Are you writing this or quoting it? If you're quoting it, does it have guest or visiting? And if it has guest is there a reason you would like to substitute?

MirandaEscobedo

British English
    Guest professor usually means thay are giving just one or two lectures. Visiting professor means they are staying longer, maybe for whole year or a term, and possibly giving an entire course.
    The context does not make it clear which of the two is meant, so far as I can see.

Snappy_is_here

Japanese
    Are you writing this or quoting it? If you're quoting it, does it have guest or visiting? And if it has guest is there a reason you would like to substitute?
    I am writing this sentence, and trying to translate "<Japanese deleted>" (lit. guest in Japanese), and I do not know if "guest professor" makes sense if the guest professor is a person who regularly visit the university to give lectures but usually the person has other jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Guest professor" is not common in U.S. academic institutions, though it could describe someone who comes for a day or two. "Visiting professor" is a common title, used as MirandaEscobedo posted above.

< Previous | Next >