difference between lame and cripple?

hectacon

Hindi
Crippled is a synonym of lame.

As adjectives the difference between crippled and lame
is that crippled is having a less than fully functional limb, or injuries which prevent full mobility while lame is unable to walk properly because of a problem with one's feet or legs.

I found this on the net. I want to know whether a cripple person is permanently disabled. He cannot walk properly all his life. Where as a lame person after recovering will be able to walk like normal.

• The Newt

English - US
    "Lame" refers specifically to the feet or legs; to be "crippled" is much more general, and usually permanent. In some contexts it may be regarded as offensive.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    You find a lot of nonsense on the net.

Lame means slightly injured in the leg. It is used mainly for animals.
    Crippled means permanently injured (of people) or with reduced ability (of a machine). Used of people it is not polite.
    Disabled/handicapped means permanently injured (of people). It is polite.

hectacon

Hindi
    You find a lot of nonsense on the net.

Lame means slightly injured in the leg. It is used mainly for animals.
    Crippled means permanently injured (of people) or with reduced ability (of a machine). Used of people it is not polite.
    Disabled/handicapped means permanently injured (of people). It is polite.
    I should never use cripple then.Instead I should use disable/handicapped. But how would I say, If I have to indicate that he has a problem with hand, leg?
    That particular body part is not working.

He is disabled/handicapped in his left hand/right foot.

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    Just as a complement, crippled used figuratively can refer to the whole body and an inability to move/act (crippling fear/doubt/anxiety). Lame often means a poor effort at something.

< Previous | Next >