difference between noun modifies noun and adj modifies noun

< Previous | Next >

Shingho

Chinese-Mandarin
Hi there, see these two examples.

1. Grade Report
2. Financial Report

So my questions is: why these two are all reports but one can use a noun to modify the object while the second example uses an adj to do the same thing?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Well, there is no adjective of 'grade', so there is no choice in number 1. But other than that, there is no simple answer. We use noun + noun in many different ways, and adjective + noun in many different ways, and sometimes both are possible, and sometimes they might have different meanings. There is no easy way of predicting.

Shingho

Chinese-Mandarin
    Well, there is no adjective of 'grade', so there is no choice in number 1. But other than that, there is no simple answer. We use noun + noun in many different ways, and adjective + noun in many different ways, and sometimes both are possible, and sometimes they might have different meanings. There is no easy way of predicting.
    Can't the second one be Finance Report (I know it's obsolete or prob no one has ever used it before)? Like the attribution of this report is about finance, then why should we not use noun + noun? Thanks.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    So my questions is: why these two are all reports but one can use a noun to modify the object while the second example uses an adj to do the same thing?
    Like most "why" questions, there is no answer to this one.

Like any language, Engish provides various standard forms for saying things: [noun+noun] and [adj+noun] are two of them.

I learned one rule about noun+noun, by seeing examples. When you see "noun1 noun2", usually noun1 narrows the scope of meaning of noun2: the combination is more specific than noun2 by itself. For example:

A store. A shoe store.
    An industry. The software industry.
    A trainer. A horse trainer.
    A report. A grade report. A finance report.

< Previous | Next >