difference between rough and tough

rosa1102

Korean - south korea
Hi! Theses days, I've really enjoyed watching american TV show "Modern Family". I think the show is really good, sometimes fun and helpful for foreigners to learn casual English. Yesterday I watched episode 2 in season 1. The main character Phil said "So I decided to teach him a lesson and let him think his bike was stolen. And I know that sounds kinda rough, but sometimes it’s a dad’s job to be the tough guy." I think both of the underlined words have almost same meaning in general. But they are seems to have different usages. Could you explain the difference between them?

• rhitagawr

British English
    Rough here means something like unkind, unjust. Tough here means something like strong, strict. The father isn't going to tolerate any misbehaviour.
    (I wouldn't say they had the same meaning in general. Smooth - the opposite of rough - leather can be tough. Sandpaper is not necessarily tough.)
    Cross-posted.

jitendra8819

english-india
    As adjectives the difference between rough and tough is that rough is having a texture that has much friction not smooth; uneven while tough is strong and resilient; sturdy.
    As nouns the difference between rough and tough is that rough is the unmowed part of a golf course while tough is a person who obtains things by force; a thug or bully.
    As verbs the difference between rough and tough is that rough is to create in an approximate form while tough is to endure.

rosa1102

Korean - south korea
    Rough here means something like unkind, unjust. Tough here means something like strong, strict. The father isn't going to tolerate any misbehaviour.
    (I wouldn't say they had the same meaning in general. Smooth - the opposite of rough - leather can be tough. Sandpaper is not necessarily tough.)
    Cross-posted.
    I understood the meaning of rough and tough in the above sentences, But sometimes I wondered which one is correct, for example "I had a rough day" and "I had a tough day." Now I'm wondering whether both of them are correct, if they are all correct, what difference they have.

< Previous | Next >