Difference between stimulate and inspire

< Previous | Next >
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please see our dictionary definitions of stimulate and inspire.

If they don't answer your question, give us a sentence in which you think you might use these words and ask what the difference in meaning would be if you used one word or the other.

Mrrobot718

Chinese
    Please see our dictionary definitions of stimulate and inspire.

If they don't answer your question, give us a sentence in which you think you might use these words and ask what the difference in meaning would be if you used one word or the other.
    Yes.I just saw these definitions of these two words.
    Sorry for not describing my question well.
    I just want to know if someone encourages me to do something, which word should I use? If both are correct, then what's the difference ?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us the sentence in which you would use the word. We'll be happy to help, once we have a specific example to discuss.

Mrrobot718

Chinese
    OK。
    Like I just can use inspire at 'I was inspired to study abroad by my teacher after during a puzzled period'

Chez

English English
    Yes, 'inspired' is correct in this sentence (which needs a bit of correcting itself).

'I was inspired to study abroad by my teacher after during (you cannot use both words) a puzzled period (what do you mean by this?: that you had been wondering what to do for a while?) '

Mrrobot718

Chinese
    Yes, 'inspired' is correct in this sentence (which needs a bit of correcting itself).

'I was inspired to study abroad by my teacher after during (you cannot use both words) a puzzled period (what do you mean by this?: that you had been wondering what to do for a while?) '
    Thanks for pointing my fault,Chez.
    ' a puzzled period ' for me in this situation means a long time that I don't know what to do in the future like what job is suitable for me,finding a job or chasing advanced education after graduating from college.
    I think you've know what I mean, I just .....don't know exactly how to describe it.
    I am just trying to learn English in a foreign environment.
    Although Grammarly has helped me a lot, there will still be a lot of mistakes in my posts of this forum.
    Thanks again for your kind patience.
    Have a good day!

Mrrobot718

Chinese

So 'I am stimulated by my teacher ' is a valid expression too?

Slater1768

Banned
    English
    "Inspired" implies you are given the seed of an idea, but then you develop it independently yourself, often in a creative content. This painting was inspired by Picasso. Inspired kind of means that take something to heart and make it your own and accomplish something as a result of it. Inspiration is usually in reference to ideas.

Stimulate - means to give some kind of prod or jolt to. The government is stimulating the economy. This sentence cannot use "inspired".

< Previous | Next >