Difference in pronunciation between: a, á, ã, â and à

JustWantToBeTrilingual

English - United States
Could I get a few people to explain the difference in pronunciation between a, á, ã, â and à in Portuguese using English comparisons (if possible)? I can't seem to find a thread or other Web site that addresses them each clearly. Thanks!

• Tony100000

Portuguese
    1. "á and à" are the same, but just "á" does not exist. When using just the character "a", the correct is "à". The pronunciation is practically the same as "o" in "ouch".
    2. "ã and a" are the same and are practically the same as "un" in "under". When used as a letter, "a" has the same pronunciation as "à". Again, just "ã" does not exist.
    3. "â" is the same as "ã". Again, just â" does not exist.

This is the general pronunciation. It all depends on the word in question. Especially the character "a".

Tony100000

Portuguese
    Examples:

Anda! - Come! or Walk! (both "a" have the same pronunciation as "ã".)
    Calma - Calm (first "a" = "à" and second "a" = "ã". I think that in Brazil, both are pronounced "à")

Last edited:

Alandria

Português
    Examples:

Anda! - Come! or Walk! (both "a" have the same pronunciation as "ã".)
    Calma - Calm (first "a" = "à" and second "a" = "ã". I think that in Brazil, both are pronounced "à")
    Depende do lugar do Brasil, na Bahia é assim mesmo como você disse e boa parte do Nordeste.

Mas no resto do país é [ɐ].

xiskxisk

European Portuguese
    Á and À are an open A (like in start), while  is a closed A (like in bird). The à is just a nasal closed A.

The IPA symbols are:
    Á/À: a
    Â: ɐ
    Ã: ɐ̃
    Ê: e
    É: ɛ
    Ô: o
    Ó: ɔ

< Previous | Next >