Difference mistrust / distrust

< Previous | Next >

epinephrin

French - France
<< Topic: Difference mistrust / distrust >>

Good morning, I'd like to know definitely wether that makes a difference? Dictionaries states that there is none. Do you know any case I should use one and not the other?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello epinephrin. 

We always require a sentence with every question.  A specific example helps us think about your question.  Do you have a sentence in which you might use these words?  If you don't have a sentence of your own, you might give us a sample sentence that a dictionary gives for one of the words, and ask what the difference would be if you used the other.  (if you do that, please remember to include the dictionary's name.) 

epinephrin

French - France
    Hello Cagey. :)

distrust :
    WordReference's dictionary :to regard as untrustworthy or dishonest

Regard as untrustworthy; regard with suspicion; have no faith or confidence in
    Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

mistrust :

WordReference's dictionary : To have doubts or suspicions about

Regard as untrustworthy; regard with suspicion; have no faith or confidence in
    Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

It sounds like distrust puts a judgement.

There was no examples so may I say? :
    I distrust his sly and malevolent smile.
    I mistrust his sly and malevolent smile.
    I distrust you much more than you distrust mankind.
    I mistrust you much more than you mistrust mankind.

And finally is there a difference :
    I am not distrustful, I just doubt his sincerity.
    I am not of mistrustful nature, I just doubt his sincerity.

Thank you.

Last edited:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think distrust is more common than mistrust, and for some reason I would mainly use mistrust in relation to myself (I mistrust my understanding, I mistrust my memory), but I can't quite articulate why. Maybe others will be able to be more explicit about this. In your examples I would use distrust.

< Previous | Next >