difference of knock and hit

xinyu

Chinese
difference of knock and hit<-----Edited to add topic from title to thread----->

I'm a English learner and I want to know some native ways to express myself in English.
I just want to express the meaning like: my fingers knock on the table incautious and it hurts a lot.
I think there must be many inappropriate words in my expressions including the question itself. Could anyone help me to correct my expressions and tell me the native ways to express the similar meaning ? I am struggling with English:(.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, xinyu!

We'll be glad to help, if you can give us a little more information about the situation. What exactly are your fingers doing? Are you striking the table the way you would knock on a door, or have you bumped it accidentally?

xinyu

Chinese
    Hi Florentia52,
    Thanks a lot for your reply!
    I mean I bump the table accidently and my finger hurts a lot. So is "bump" the correct word to express this meaning?

Antoine Meyer

English - Canada
    My fingers struck/hit the table suddenly and painfully.

Suddenly, my fingers hit the table and it hurt dreadfully.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    My fingers struck/hit the table suddenly and painfully.

Suddenly, my fingers hit the table and it hurt dreadfully.
    I'm afraid both those expressions sound as though one's fingers are acting independently of oneself.

I think we would need to stress that the movement was accidental. For example - "I accidentally hit my hand on the table". "I accidentally hit the table with my hand."

Antoine Meyer

English - Canada
    I'm afraid both those expressions sound as though one's fingers are acting independently of oneself.

I think we would need to stress that the movement was accidental. For example - "I accidentally hit my hand on the table". "I accidentally hit the table with my hand."
    Many books by good authors sound like that and it eliminates the use of "I," making it sound less personal.

wandle

English - British
    I just want to express the meaning like: my fingers knock on the table incautious and it hurts a lot.
    What is the situation? What are you doing, or trying to do, with your hand?

Are you trying to catch something that has fallen? If so, you would move your hand quickly.
    In that case, you might say, 'As I tried to catch the vase, my fingers struck the table painfully'.
    Here, you might equally well say 'hit' or 'rapped' instead of 'struck'.

Antoine Meyer

English - Canada
    If one is talking about hurting oneself, why should it not be personal?

I did not write that it should not be personal, but that it is not personal. Therefore, if someone wanted to sound impersonal, one of my suggestions would be suitable.

< Previous | Next >