Thank you very much!! :p

• gatoviejo

German
    Hi Art! :)
    Artrella said:
    Good morning everybody!! :) ;) :p

I need to know the difference between CONTINUALLY and CONTINUOULSY. :D

Thank you very much!! :p
    I think that CONTINUOUSLY doesn’t exist.

CONTINUALLY adv. It does it again and again (start … end … start …end …and so on)
    CONTINUOUS adj. It begins and never ends (start ……… no end)

Salu2 g@to ;)

Ralf

German
    In the CALD I've found the following example using continuously as an adverb to indicate activity without interuption:

You can't work continuously for six hours without a break!

Cheers.

Doina

Romania - Romanian
    In my Macmillan for advanced learners I found that both of them mean the same, the only difference is just between the adjectives, CONTINUAL having a negative conotation, meaning annoying: "I've had enough of their continual arguing."

Hope it helps somehow! :)

Ralf

German
    I forgot to add the example for continually:

They argue continually.

Here it is used to refer to circumstances (problems, activities whatsoever) occuring permanently (that is: again and again)

vachecow

USA English
    con·tin·u·al
    adj.
    Recurring regularly or frequently: the continual need to pay the mortgage.
    Not interrupted; steady: continual noise; a continual diet of vegetables.

con·tinu·al·ly adv.
    Synonyms: continual, continuous, constant, ceaseless, incessant, perpetual, eternal, perennial, interminable
    These adjectives mean occurring repeatedly over a long period of time. Continual is chiefly restricted to what is intermittent or repeated at intervals: The continual banging of the shutter in the wind gave me a headache. Continuous implies lack of interruption: The horizon is a continuous line. Constant stresses steadiness or persistence and unvarying nature: The constant ticking of the clock lulled him to sleep. Ceaseless and incessant pertain to uninterrupted activity: The ceaseless thunder of the surf eroded the beach. The toddler asked incessant questions. Perpetual emphasizes both steadiness and duration: The ambassador had a perpetual stream of visitors. Eternal refers to what is everlasting, especially to what is seemingly without temporal beginning or end: “That freedom can be retained only by the eternal vigilance which has always been its price” (Elmer Davis). Perennial describes existence that goes on year after year, often with the suggestion of self-renewal: The candidates discussed the perennial problem of urban poverty. Interminable refers to what is or seems to be endless and is often applied to something prolonged and wearisome: After an interminable delay, our flight was canceled outright.

con·tin·u·ous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-tny-s)
    adj.
    Uninterrupted in time, sequence, substance, or extent. See Synonyms at continual.
    Attached together in repeated units: a continuous form fed into a printer.
    Mathematics. Of or relating to a line or curve that extends without a break or irregularity

continuously

adv 1: at every point; "The function is continuously differentiable" 2: with unflagging resolve; "dance inspires him ceaselessly to strive higher and higher toward the shining pinnacle of perfection that is the goal of every artiste"

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes. The two words are not interchangeable, although they are very often misused. As was well described, "continuous" refers to uninterrupted continuity, while "continual" refers to regular repetition. Therefore, you can scream continually (once every five minutes) or continuously (one long scream without stopping).

Hope this helps. :)

lsp

NY
    US, English
    gatoviejo said:
    Hi Art! :) I think that CONTINUOUSLY doesn’t exist. It does.

best, most succinct definition:

CONTINUALLY adv. It does it again and again (start … end … start …end …and so on)
    CONTINUOUS adj. It begins and never ends (start ……… no end)
    Thanks to g@to in Post #2 ;)