Differences between at night and in the night

• owlman5

English-US
    "At night" just means "while it is night outside". "In the night" usually means that something is happening outside or in the darkness of the night.

Harry Batt

USA English
    At night conveys the thought of a specific time, much the same as the crack of dawn or high noon. In the night describes a period of darkness time between dusk and dawn

Flor de durazno

Spanish
    I'm not sure how to explain the difference.

What is the context?

Well, there isn't a specific context.

It could be, for example, "I went to the park at night" and "I went to the park in the night." What would be the difference between these two examples?

JamesM

"I went to the park at night" would mean that you went when it was dark, but I would assume that it was still at a time when most people would be awake.

"I went to the park in the night", to me, would imply that it was late at night at an unusual hour, probably when most people were asleep.

Flor de durazno

Spanish
    "I went to the park at night" would mean that you went when it was dark, but I would assume that it was still at a time when most people would be awake.

"I went to the park in the night", to me, would imply that it was late at night at an unusual hour, probably when most people were asleep.

Thanks, James. Your explanation is very clear. I think it's clearer with these two examples.
    Bye!