Differences between Hindi and Urdu.

panjabigator

Am. English
venenum said:
A question: do these differences concern everyday's vocabulary - I'd like to know if there are two different words for bread, pants, different kinds of food, family members... or are the differences limited to some fancy expressions. (What would you consider an upper register, actually?)
Hindi and Urdu common vocab, ie foods, family members, bread, and pants, is pretty much the same. Urdu speakers tend to use some different words for Family members, but the demographics are different with the language...some regions may be different. I consider upper level vocab the stuff you see in a newspaper.

Here is my example, using the Declaration of Human Rights taken from this site
Hindi (हिन्दी)

सभी मनुष्यों को गौरव और अधिकारों के मामले में जन्मजात स्वतन्त्रता और समानता प्राप्त है। उन्हें बुद्धि और अन्तरात्मा की देन प्राप्त है और परस्पर उन्हें भाईचारे के भाव से बर्ताव करना चाहिए।
Transliteration
Sarbhī manuṣyōn̐ kō gaurav aur adhikārōn̐ kē māmalē mēn̐ janmajāt svatantratā aur samānatā prāpt hai. Unhēn̐ buddhi aur antarātmā kī dēn hai aur paraspar unēn̐ bhāīcārē kē bhāv sē bartāv karanā cāhiyē.

Hear a recording of this text by Ganesh Deshmukh http://www.omniglot.com/images/sound.gif
Urdu (اردو)

تمام انسان آزاد اور حقوق و عزت کے اعتبار سے برابر پیدا ہوۓ ہیں۔ انہیں ضمیر اور عقل ودیعت ہوئی ہے۔ اسلیۓ انہیں ایک دوسرے کے ساتھ بھائی چارے کا سلوک کرنا چاہیۓ۔​
Transliteration
Tamām insān āzād ôr ḥuqūq-o ʿizzat ke ėʿtibār se barābar peidā hū'e heiṅ. Inheṅ żamīr ôr ʿaql vadīʿat hū'ī he. Isli'e inheṅ ek dūsre ke sāth bhā'ī čāre kā sulūk karnā čāhi'e.
Hear a recording of this text by Ganesh Deshmukh http://www.omniglot.com/images/sound.gif
So as you can see there are a lot of differences in vocabulary. I am basically fine with the Hindi. There are several Urdu words I do not know, and I would have to look them up in the dictionary to figure them out. Also, I do not think the structures between each language provided in the above examples are 100% parallel. I will read them again later when I get a chance and put down what I feel was different.

• venenum

Croatian/Croatia
    Thank you very much, this explains a lot. :)
    I apreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
    (In fact, the main reason I was interested in this was just mentioned on the "mother tongue" thread - the difference between Croatian and Serbian - if you consider them two languages, as I do, and not 1, as Natasha does - is also mostly in the vocabulary)

< Previous | Next >