(different sizes of boron powder)/(substantial difference in powder sizes)

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would like to please ask you which of the expressions in bold (different sizes of boron powder)/(substantial difference in powder sizes) is correct in the following:
The different results obtained in the two MgB2(C – x%) samples made from C-CVD doped boron could be explained by virtue of (different sizes of boron powder)/(substantial difference in powder sizes).

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    powder sizes :cross:-> powder does not have sizes: it has an amount or volume - the particles have sizes.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    powder sizes :cross:-> powder does not have sizes: it has an amount or volume - the particles have sizes.
    Thanks, PaulQ. Therefore, it becomes: The different results obtained in the two MgB2(C – x%) samples made from C-CVD doped boron could be explained by virtue of (substantially different particle sizes of boron powder)/(substantial difference in powder particle sizes). Which is preferable?

Last edited:

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Neither, you need a definite article.
    Then, they are: The different results obtained in the two MgB2(C – x%) samples made from C-CVD doped boron could be explained by virtue of (the substantially different particle sizes of boron powder)/(the substantial difference in powder particle sizes). I prefer the second one.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    (the substantially different particle sizes of the boron powder)/(substantial difference in the boron powder particle sizes). I prefer the former, but it's a close call - either would do.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    (the substantially different particle sizes of the boron powder)/(substantial difference in the boron powder particle sizes). I prefer the former, but it's a close call - either would do.
    Do you mean the substantial difference in the boron powder particle sizes, because we are talking about a specific difference, that in the boron powder particle sizes?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No. You can use the substantial difference if you want (technically, you are converting "difference" to a countable noun), but "the" is not necessary there (it can be used uncountably), however, it is necessary for the boron powder particle size.

It is the specific boron that you have used; to which you have previously referred, etc.

< Previous | Next >