differentiate between the two times

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello, everyone:

He Said, She Said: New series creates interest in Unabomber
By Allen K. Lunde and Michelle MacEachern, Correspondents

I really liked the first episode. Yes there is a time displacement. The show starts with a former FBI profiler named James Fitzgerald (Sam Worthington) being told he needs to go talk to Ted Kaczynski and get a confession from him..... The show then jumps back in time to when the profiler got his assignment. At first you can differentiate between the two times by beard guy and no beard guy.

Is it correct to say "differentiate between the two times" ? I know I can differentiate between two objects, but I am not sure whether I can differentiate between "two times".

Thank you.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    It might be slightly better to say "two time frames", but I think it's okay as it is.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Is it correct to say "differentiate between the two times" ? I know I can differentiate between two objects, but I am not sure whether I can differentiate between "two times".
    Here it means to differentiate between "two sets of scenes in this movie, scenes that (according to the plot) take place at different times". That meaning is clear, and it is correct to say it as "differentiate beween the two times". The word the helps make clear what that it refers to two specific times (calendar times, in this case).

Without "the", we differentiate between two times when we compare noon and midnight. Or if we recognize (by their clothing) that the Americans in one photo were filmed in the 1970s, and those in another photo in the 2010s.

< Previous | Next >