Differentiate or diversify

Grenable

Once I was asked why people don't brake the monotony or the vicious circle of their routine lives.The first answer that came to mind was that many a person doesn't differentiate/diversify his daily activities from the usual patterns of recreations that most people adopt

Hallo guys.in this small passage I am trying to say with simple words that people should expand the range of their activities so as not to feel bored.

Of course when I use diversify the sentence ends at daily activities

Do I achieve the desideratum result?

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    You differentiate A from B, but you diversify A into B and C. Your example sentence seems to be muddling the two concepts.

pasfacil

English - British
    Hi Grenable,
    You meant "break" not "brake" at the beginning. "Diversify" means to start new additional activities, whereas "differentiate" means to find differences between (existing) ones. You meant "desired" not "desiteratum" in the last line. I think your simple words worked better with "people should expand the range of their activities so as not to feel bored."

Grenable

So,can I say

People should diversify their activities into ??after into I can't think of anything to write

People should differentiate their recreations from the usual diversions to avert boredom

Grenable

There is an additional meaning for the word differentiate C2 [T]to make someone or something different

And I am wholly aware of needing an adjective instead of a noun(desired/desideratum)

pasfacil

English - British
    You could say "People should diversify their activities to avoid boredom". That's sufficient. If you want to get into differentiation, which I do not advise as a word in this context, you might write something like "If people are bored, they should take a careful look at the activities they undertake and see if it might be better to diversify into other fields of activity".

< Previous | Next >