differentiate the additional values?

Sylph

Chinese, China
The sentence is: Marketing will be an important focus after the successful start up to differentiate and create additional values for the company.
I can't understand the meaning of "differentiate" in "differentiate additional values". Could anyone be kind enough to explain the use of the word for me? Thanks.

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    A new enterprise has 'started up'.
    To claim a share of the market it will need to announce to potential customers what it is which makes it different from its rivals. This is the meaning of "differentiate".
    The marketing will also need to explain the enterprise's values to the potential customers - "We believe that the customer comes first", "We believe that X is hugely important", "We will never Y" etc.
    The new enterprise already has these values, and 'create' is probably not the best word to use there, but the marketing will create an awareness of the enterprise's values in the potential customers.

DavyBCN

UK - English
    A new enterprise has 'started up'.
    To claim a share of the market it will need to announce to potential customers what it is which makes it different from its rivals. This is the meaning of "differentiate".
    The marketing will also need to explain the enterprise's values to the potential customers - "We believe that the customer comes first", "We believe that X is hugely important", "We will never Y" etc.
    The new enterprise already has these values, and 'create' is probably not the best word to use there, but the marketing will create an awareness of the enterprise's values in the potential customers.

I agree with most of your reply, but just a question. I always use differentiate between or specify. Is it becoming common to use differentiate on its own? The two have different meanings to me.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I agree with most of your reply, but just a question. I always use differentiate between or specify. Is it becoming common to use differentiate on its own? The two have different meanings to me.
    It should indeed be differentiate (between the start-up and the competition) — but there is more unstated in the sentence and this is just one more item which is tacit.

< Previous | Next >