dificultar, impedir

< Previous | Next >

bowarco

Spanish-Spain.
I have some doubts about the use of the above verbs. I have trouble using them when followed by a verb.

e.i. El hecho de que haya varios niveles de inglés en la misma clase puede impedir que los alumnos mejoren sus conocimientos sobre la materia.

My try: The fact that there are different level of English in class may impede the students improving their knowledge on the subject.
Is it right to say" impede them improving..... or impede them from improving.

e.i. La tardanza del profesor dificulta que nosotros mejoremos nuestro nivel puesto que sólo damos 40 minutos de clase en lugar de una hora.
The lateness of the teacher hinder / hamper us improving ( from improving) our level as we only take 40 minutes´s class rather than an hour.
La nueva medida tomada por el gobierno puede dificulltar que nuestra empresa prospere.
The new meassure taken by the government may hinder our company getting ahead ( from getting ahead)

thanks in advance.

• albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
    I have some doubts about the use of the above verbs. I have trouble using them when followed by a verb.

e.i. El hecho de que haya varios niveles de inglés en la misma clase puede impedir que los alumnos mejoren sus conocimientos sobre la materia.

My try: The fact that there are different level of English in class may impede the students improving their knowledge on the subject.

e.i. La tardanza del profesor dificulta que nosotros mejoremos nuestro nivel puesto que sólo damos 40 minutos de clase en lugar de una hora.
    The lateness of the teacher hinder / hamper us improving ( from improving) our level as we only take 40 minutes´s class rather than an hour.
    La nueva medida tomada por el gobierno puede dificulltar que nuestra empresa prospere.
    The new meassure taken by the government may hinder our company getting ahead ( from getting ahead)

thanks in advance.
    Yo diría "...in class may prevent students from improving..."
    "The lateness of the teacher hinders us..."
    "...government can make our company difficult to..."

bowarco

Spanish-Spain.
    So, cannot I use "impede" as impedir in the first sentence?. I know "prevent" can be used here, but I was wondering if It was possible to use impede as well as a synonym.

In the second one " the lateness of the teacher...." I do not know whether after hinder or hamper I should use a gerund or the preposition from + gerund. ..... hinders us improving or from improving... I read in another thread that In British language they do not use from whilst in America they do.

As for the third one, Is it also possible to use hinder apart from "make difucult" meaning " dificultar, impedir"

I am a bit muddled. I would be more than happy if you corrected me any mistake I have made.
    thank you very much.

albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
    I wouldn't use hamper because...
    hamper: to prevent someone doing something easilyFierce storms have been hampering rescue efforts and there is now little chance of finding more survivors.

(Definition of hamper verb from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
    I think your can use "impede" in your first phrase.
    impede: to slow down or cause problems for the achievement or finishing of somethingAlthough he's shy, it certainly hasn't impeded his career in any way.

(Definition of impede verb from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
    As to "hinders as" it's "hinders us from improving"

pubman

thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

The lateness/tardiness of the teacher hinders our improvement as we only have a 40 minute class instead of an hour.
    This is one option

The new measure taken by the government may hinder our company's prospects

bowarco

Spanish-Spain.
    Thank you very much.
    But can I use hinder or hamper as dificultar, obstaculizar in the three sentences, apart from your other options?. I have looked them up in the dictionary and they both mean almost the same. However, I don´t know whether they are interchangable or not or if they are a bit out of contexts here. I find pubman´s translation very good. I think I should have utilized a noun ( improvement ) instead of a verb ( improve).

thanks in advance.

< Previous | Next >