Dig 1 meter deep

< Previous | Next >

Kizito

Dig 1 meter deep into soil.
Dig at least shovel blade deep into ground.

Would either of these two sentences make sense when you are instructing someone how to do gardening.

• heypresto

English - England
    No. Unless, perhaps you were planting a tree, you would never dig 1 metre deep when gardening.

And we'd say 'the soil'.

We don't use shovels to dig, we use spades. And the depth of one spade blade is a 'spit'.

And we'd say 'the ground'.

Kizito

You lost me there. I was preparing soil for laying down weeding mats and layer of pebbles on top so I had to dig deep to get rid of roots. Are you saying that those sentences are grammatically or logically incorrect?

On second thought it was half a meter deep, my apologies I am terrible with the measures.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    We don't use shovels to dig, we use spades. And the depth of one spade blade is a 'spit'.
    We do use shovels to dig, and while some of us also use spades, some people (for reasons that are silly and prissy ...) make a point of avoiding the word "spade" altogether, and instead of calling a spade a spade, will call a spade a shovel. And almost none of us have ever heard of the depth of a spade blade (which as noted we don't much use for digging) being called a 'spit'.

Of course, while these are the things that we do, I can't answer for the odd things that they do.

Andygc

British English
    Dig 1 meter deep into the soil.
    Dig at least a shovel blade deep into the ground.
    Perhaps:
    Dig at least a shovel blade's depth into the ground.

For your purpose you might double dig the plot - two spits deep/two shovel blades deep

< Previous | Next >