dig - search?

< Previous | Next >

zhonglin

Mandarin
Does it sound fine to use the word "dig" when searching? For example.. "I will do some digging to find the information you're looking for"...How about...I'm still digging the information that you're asking"

• Greyfriar

Yes, we do use the words 'dig' or 'digging' in this way. I sometimes use it along with the word 'around'. For example, someone may ask me to find a letter I received, so I would say, 'I'll dig around in my paperwork and see if I can find it.'

You couldn't use your last sentence, it doesn't make sense in this way.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    To dig means to search with great effort. Doing a word search on Google is not digging; travelling to the DHSS archive in Newcastle and spending a day looking through document boxes is digging, as is persuading a civil servant to reveal any information more than 2 days old.

To dig is not transitive in this case: "I'm still digging for the information that you're asking for/after."

zhonglin

Mandarin
    Yes, we do use the words 'dig' or 'digging' in this way. I sometimes use it along with the word 'around'. For example, someone may ask me to find a letter I received, so I would say, 'I'll dig around in my paperwork and see if I can find it.'

You couldn't use your last sentence, it doesn't make sense in this way.
    Hi, instead of saying "digging around in my paperwork", can we say "I'm digging through my paper work to see if I can find it"

< Previous | Next >