dig the capital

< Previous | Next >

lilyppbb

Chinese
It's a passage from William Burroughs' The Yage Letters:

I took a few days to assemble my gear and dig the capital. For a jungle trip you need medicines: snake bite serum, penicillin, enterovioformo and aralen are essentials. A hammock, a blanket and a rubber bag known as a tula to carry your gear in.

1, What does "dig the capital" mean here?

2, What is "a rubber bag known as a tula" like?

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Hello, Lily -- welcome to the forum!

"Dig the capital" probably means "dig up the capital", a standard AE idiom meaning "find or raise the needed money".

A "tula" is probably a name for a certain kind of backpack, in some language. I found baby tulas (baby-carrying tulas) on-line, with the picture below.

baby tula.jpg

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    But I thought that 'dig the capital' here meant to enjoy the capital, no?:)

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    But I thought that 'dig the capital' here meant to enjoy the capital, no?:)
    It can in some contexts. Suppose I visited Ecuador, for example, and really liked Quito*. Since Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I could say "I enjoyed my visit to Ecuador. I really dig the capital with its old Spanish churches."

However, that is a different meaning of "to dig" and, in this example, a different meaning of "capital." In the context of preparing for a jungle trip, one is more likely to try to find money than to enjoy money, and the meaning of "capital" as "the city in which a country has its government headquarters" is not likely at all.

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    It can in some contexts. Suppose I visited Ecuador, for example, and really liked Quito*. Since Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I could say "I enjoyed my visit to Ecuador. I really dig the capital with its old Spanish churches."

However, that is a different meaning of "to dig" and, in this example, a different meaning of "capital." In the context of preparing for a jungle trip, one is more likely to try to find money than to enjoy money, and the meaning of "capital" as "the city in which a country has its government headquarters" is not likely at all.

< Previous | Next >