digital advertising and marketing promoting fatty, sugary and salty foods that <is / are> damaging

< Previous | Next >
  • Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    No, I'd have used "foods that are damaging". If the relative pronoun referred to the whole clause preceding it (though that wouldn't be a good idea), the correct pronoun would be "which", preceded by a comma.

Cross-posted

Anchie

Serbian
    I thought the same, but got confused by the fact that the English learning website posted the article, and I wrongly believed such websites are mistake-free.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It is possible to see "hidden digital advertising and marketing" as the subject of "is damaging," and to consider "advertising and marketing" as a single entity.

Anchie

Serbian
    It is possible to see "hidden digital advertising and marketing" as the subject of "is damaging," and to consider "advertising and marketing" as a single entity.
    I'm glad that this website might be mistake-free after all :rolleyes:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Sorry, but I find that neither logical (advertising and marketing doesn't/don't really damage health) nor grammatically ( "promoting fatty, sugary and salty foods" follows "marketing" without any comma, which makes "advertising and marketing promoting fatty, sugary and salty foods" one unit grammatically-- for "promoting fatty, sugary and salty foods" to be considered a separate unit, we would need a comma after "marketing" and one after "foods" too which would then be followed by "which", not "that").

I hope this post makes sense.

Sorry for disillusioning you, Anchie --if you take that, that is. Anyway, any site could have a mistake-- I never trust any blindly.

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I agree that thr logic is slightly flawed, but it still may have been the writer's intent to assert that such advertising and marketing is/are harmful to children!s health. That is, I don't think it's so illogical that we must presume a grammatical error instead.

I disagree with you about the commas.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I don't disagree with that. I disagree that it is grammatically illogical. My point in #5 was that "advertising and marketing promoting fatty, sugary and salty foods" could be considered one unit, which would make the singular verb correct.

< Previous | Next >