dilaga una falsa carità ed un puerile buonismo

Peppe77

Italian
I would like to translate this italian sentece:

In quella comunità dilaga una falsa carità ed un puerile buonismo.

My attempt:

In that community it spreads a fake charity and a boyish "do-goodery"?

I found "do-goodery" for the translation of "buonismo".

• rrose17

Canada, English
    I think to spread a fake charity doesn't really mean anything. Maybe
    In that community it acts with false charity and an adolescent/childish sense of doing good.

lgs

American English
    Is there an actual subject to which "it" refers in this sentence, or is the meaning more that
    "In that community there is a widespread sense of false charity and a chlidish sense of doing good" ?

Peppe77

Italian
    Is there an actual subject to which "it" refers in this sentence, or is the meaning more that
    "In that community there is a widespread sense of false charity and a chlidish sense of doing good" ?
    No, there is not an actual subjet.

I like your suggestions. Thank you.

elfa

English
    I think lgs's translation is fine.

Could "puerile" also be translated as "juvenile" here"? I also like "do-goodery".

...a juvenile sense of do-goodery?

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    I think lgs's translation is fine.

Could "puerile" also be translated as "juvenile" here"? I also like "do-goodery".

...a juvenile sense of do-goodery?
    At first, I thought "juvenile" wasn't a valid option here, but then I checked the different meanings of this term on the AHD and, despite this not being its principal meaning, it also gives:

"Marked by immaturity; childish"

and also:

"Juvenile connotes immaturity, often childishness: the juvenile pranks of the conventioneers."

Sort of a false friend, as in Italian "giovanile" doesn't have the same negative connotation that juvenile seems to have.
    Summing up, I believe juvenile fits into the context here but, surprise surprise... the AHD also mentions puerile, which seems the most literal (but also most faithful) translation of "puerile":

"Puerile is used derogatorily to suggest silliness, foolishness, or infantilism: a puerile joke"

Perhaps puerile doesn't exactly roll off the tongue of a native but in a written, formal context could possibly work.

mrpatter

English - U.S.
    I'd consider "feckless" for "puerile." Not the same thing, but I've never found a good Italian synonym for feckless, so it might get close to the intention.

"Boy Scout-y do-goodery" would be a possibility, but it's way too awkward.

elfa

English
    KC, "puerile" in English denotes condescension on the part of the writer. If you say something is "a puerile joke", it tells you more about the attitude of the person saying the phrase than about the nature of the joke itself.

Is that the same in Italian?

Peppe77

Italian
    KC, "puerile" in English denotes condescension on the part of the writer. If you say something is "a puerile joke", it tells you more about the attitude of the person saying the phrase than about the nature of the joke itself.

Is that the same in Italian?
    If I understand well, yes it might be the same.
    Anyway I used "puerile" to say that that "buonismo" is "fake" like the charity they are doing; for this reason it is a buonismo "without feelings", so "puerile".

< Previous | Next >