Dine out

Chloe32

Korean-Korea
Hi! I have been wondering about how to say "I ate in that restaurant" in a more natural way. If I say "I dined out in that restaurant." does that sound correct? If I say "I dined in that restaurant." is it still correct? Can you tell me how to say "I ate in that restaurant." in a more natural way?
I have one more question! Is "I have been wondering ABOUT how to say that." correct or "I have been wondering how to say that." correct?
Thank you!

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I would use "at" rather than "in".

If you are thinking of a particular occasion, you can say "I ate at that restaurant (once/last week/a long time ago etc.)", but if you are just talking about having had past experience of eating there, you can say "I've eaten at that restaurant".

A: Do you know The Real Greek?
    B: Yes, I ate at that restaurant last Sunday/Yes, I've eaten at that restaurant several times.

Crossposted

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "I dined out in that restaurant" sounds odd. Since "dine out" usually means "eat in a restaurant (rather than at home)", where else would you dine out other than in a restaurant?

"I dined in that restaurant" is better, but it is not nearly as common or natural as "I ate in that restaurant", or "I had dinner in that restaurant."

Linkway

British English
    I'd prefer:

I ate at that restaurant.

Using "at" includes eating inside the main restaurant, at a pavement table, or on the balcony overlooking the pool, for example.

brooney5

English United States
    Saying
    Hi! I have been wondering about how to say "I ate in that restaurant" in a more natural way. If I say "I dined out in that restaurant." does that sound correct? If I say "I dined in that restaurant." is it still correct? Can you tell me how to say "I ate in that restaurant." in a more natural way?
    I have one more question! Is "I have been wondering ABOUT how to say that." correct or "I have been wondering how to say that." correct?
    Thank you!
    I dined at that restaurant. This is the way I would say it.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    No doubt it's regional, but I would not say "I dined at that restaurant" (with or without "out"). It sounds vaguely pompous, like advertising prose.

< Previous | Next >