dining room or dinning room

graceren

汉语
Hi, guys!
There is a question: I know that a room for dinner should be called dining room, but I found another spelling in a dictionary like this 'dinning room'. I doubt the spelling of 'dinning room', what's your opinion?

• graceren

汉语
    Excuse me, Mr. Copyright. I'm not very clear that how to name the source. Is there any thing wrong with my thread title?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Here's an online version of the article from which you quote (about 8 paragraphs up from the bottom). "Dinning" is a typographical error. Sadly, your dictionary link is not helpful :( but if it contains the spelling "dinning room" for a place where you dine, it also has the typo :(

sdgraham

USA English
    Consider it one or more of the following:

1. Bad writing - worse editing.
    2. Typographical error by writer - poor editor.
    3. Stuck 'n' key.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    From the coat room, out of sight, Mr. Livoti started into "I've Got the World on a String, " before stepping into the dinning room.

It is just a spelling mistake that the editor, if there was one, missed.

Edit: While I was reading the article, others have posted.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Both points made by Julian (post #7) are correct. And the dictionary you cited is not an English-language dictionary. You are better off using the WordReference dictionary or one of the other reputable online free dictionaries such as dictionary.com, thefreedictionary.com, or merriam-webster.

ruberpe

spanish
    Hi all, I was just watching Vaughan English TV in Spain and I saw diNNing room shown on screen! Dining room is spelt with only one N because it derives from the verb TO DINE... so we remove the E and add ING, no need for another N. I think that's the reason