'Dip into my bag of tricks'

< Previous | Next >

Hinata Sama

Chinese
Hi,my friends
What does this phrase mean?
Take a sport game
if team A trailed by the end of first half,then the commentator said: ' if team A wants to win, they have to dip into their bag of tricks. '
Does that mean team A has to use some skill or moves they have used and worked before?

Last edited:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    You have the right idea, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they have used them before.

For me, it means that they need some magic (which happens sometimes digging into a bag of tricks), or they need some divine intervention. :)

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    You have the right idea, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they have used them before.

For me, it means that they need some magic (which happens sometimes digging into a bag of tricks), or they need some divine intervention. :)
    Thank you,but it seems to me that according to what you say, 'divine intervention' , that 'they have to dip into their bag of trick' makes you think team A
    stand very little chance to win.While, the scenario in my mind is that it's hard for team A, but they still have much chance, because they didn't trail by too much
    and there's still another half, enough time.So,will this phare 'dip into their bag of tricks ' be proper in my scenario?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The phrase is included in many dictionaries. Here's Oxford Dictionaries:
    a bag of tricks

INFORMAL A set of ingenious plans, techniques, or resources:
    documentary, magic realism, and surrealist techniques are all included in his bag of tricks
    I don't think it's only losers who will need to dip into their bag of tricks, but clearly doing this implies doing something special or putting in extra effort. This is sometimes seen as being to do with magic or divine intervention, as perpend notes, but not always (I think).

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    The phrase is included in many dictionaries. Here's Oxford Dictionaries:

I don't think it's only losers who will need to dip into their bag of tricks, but clearly doing this implies doing something special or putting in extra effort. This is sometimes seen as being to do with magic or divine intervention, as perpend notes, but not always (I think).
    So can I think that way, ' dip into your bag of tricks ' means to use some 'stuff' in your bag of tricks ?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    A "bag of tricks" is a metaphor, and it is one that is commonly used. It refers to a set of skills or things that have worked in the past.

Do you know how to make a baby stop crying? Suppose you were caring for a baby who was crying. What would you do? You might:
    1. offer him food
    2. offer him water
    3. smile at him
    4. make funny faces
    5. jiggle him on your knee
    6. change his diaper
    7. sing to him
    8. rock him in your arms
    9. carry him around the house on your shoulder

Those items are your bag of tricks. Maybe one of them will work, maybe not. If one fails, you will try another.

In your story, the commentator said that team A will have to try something (some "trick" - some skill) that they have not tried yet in the game.

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    A "bag of tricks" is a metaphor, and it is one that is commonly used. It refers to a set of skills or things that have worked in the past.

Do you know how to make a baby stop crying? Suppose you were caring for a baby who was crying. What would you do? You might:
    1. offer him food
    2. offer him water
    3. smile at him
    4. make funny faces
    5. jiggle him on your knee
    6. change his diaper
    7. sing to him
    8. rock him in your arms
    9. carry him around the house on your shoulder

Those items are your bag of tricks. Maybe one of them will work, maybe not. If one fails, you will try another.

In your story, the commentator said that team A will have to try something (some "trick" - some skill) that they have not tried yet in the game.
    Okay,thanks,have a good day

< Previous | Next >