diplôme classé n°1


Senior Member
At a French Ecole Spéciale, mention is made of:

le diplôme classé n°1

Is there a British equivalent? First Class degree, perhaps? Or first-class honors?

I'm not convinced the context reveals much, but here it is:

Décerné aux architectes diplômés avec mention, il a pour ancêtre le « Grand Prix de Sortie » institué en 1868 qui est attribué à l’élève qui a obtenu le diplôme classé n°1.
Last edited by a moderator:
  • VanOo

    Senior Member
    Français - France
    The context does help.

    ... to the best graduate.

    You should read the sentence like this:
    A[à l'élève qui a obtenu le diplôme]B[classé n°1]
    A = the student who graduate = the graduate
    B = who is the best of his class/ top of the year


    Senior Member
    English - British
    It is about the individual ranking of this one student, not a class of honors used in the British system:

    Top of his class
    or top-ranked student of his class.
    Or to neatly avoid accusations of sexism (there are female architects, I believe!): the top-ranked student of the class.
    < Previous | Next >