Diploma Accademico di primo livello

WordsWordWords

Am English
Hello everyone,

I am translating a CV for a musician and would like some input about terminology for academic degrees; AE is preferred to BE.

One of the degrees he has is a "Diploma Accademico di primo livello" from a conservatory. It is a three year program. Does this mean that it is simply a "three-year degree from the XYZ Conservatory"? (I tend to think not) Or is it a "Bachelor's Degree in Piano from XYZ Conservatory"?

I have the feeling the solution is not difficult, but I become so perplexed with translating educational credentials -- thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hiya Jo!

You are totally right, thank you! :rolleyes::eek: (You know, I prefer translating food and medical texts!:p)

OK, so I should say "Diploma in Piano from XYZ Conservatory" and that's sufficient?

But how to account for the "Primo livello" bit? Because there follows the "Secondo livello" as well, and I really cannot fathom this in English...

Last edited:

Pat (√2)

Italiano
    Ciao :)
    E' un po' complicato... Un Conservatorio può rilasciare:
    1. Diploma di Conservatorio
    2. Diploma accademico di primo livello -> rientra nell'higher education, Alta Formazione Artistica e Musicale, e siamo a livello della laurea triennale.
    3. Diploma accademico di secondo livello -> è a livello della laurea magistrale.
    Che in inglese fa? :D

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hi Pat,

Thanks for contributing the link. I already know the sequence but, as you said, in English what is it?

Your second point is what I had in mind initially (Diploma accademico di primo livello -> rientra nell'higher education, Alta Formazione Artistica e Musicale, e siamo a livello della laurea triennale). This is the reason I was referring to it as a "degree". Today's triennale in the Italian education system is the first part of what was once the 5 year university degree (laurea); today a course of study consisting of 3 + 2 years.

@ london: I think in Italian the word is diploma, but in English it becomes some type of degree as it refers to studies after the high school level; indeed, laurea corresponds to degree. See here:
    http://www.wordreference.com/iten/laurea
    I looked around a bit and found that first cycle and second cycle are the English terms used in reference to the Erasmus program for intercultural higher education musical studies. Here:
    http://www.studymusicineurope.org/Content.aspx?id=1804 I found in point 5 some clear terminology that I think I could use.

What do you think?

london calling

UK English
    I'd be wary of calling it a Bachelor degree. It might be equivalent to a degree, but it is nevertheless not a degree and can't be referred to as such (in my opinion).:)

As Pat says, it's a "diploma accademico": I notice that the Italians translate that as an "Academic Diploma" (see this), not that we have anything like that in the English-speaking world. It reminded me of the British HND (Higher National Diploma), but unfortunately here it says that that's considered the equivalent of the second year of a three-year degree course, so that's no good either....

Pat (√2)

Italiano
    It reminded me of the British HND (Higher National Diploma), but unfortunately here it says that that's considered the equivalent of the second year of a three-year degree course, so that's no good either....
    Leggendo lì, 'sto diploma accademico sarebbe un HND + "top up". Ok, ok, sto zitta :D

WordsWordWords

Am English
    I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_Process

It is clear-cut and really helpful!

Using the word "degree", really shouldn't be a problem at all in the end ;) -- look at this: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/diploma (@ london calling)

As this CV is aimed at US institutions, I am going with "...he earned a 3-year first cycle degree in piano" and "...he received a 2-year second cycle piano soloist degree"

These terms appear to be broadly used so hopefully I am not off the mark.

Thanks everyone!

smarttams

English
    It is a music undergraduate degree (3 years). I am currently studying it here in Italy and it is the same as an undergraduate music degree in Australia.
    I am also trying to translate conservatory documents into English. It is a bit hard, but the "diploma - vecchio ordinamento" from the conservatory system here is just a 'diploma', the "nuovo ordinamento" is a degree.

smarttams

English
    from wikipedia:
    Italy uses the three levels degree system. The first level degree, called (Diploma Accademico di) laurea (Bachelor's degree), is obtained after 3 years of study and a short thesis on a specific subject. The second level degree, called (Diploma Accademico di) laurea magistrale (Master's degree), is obtained after two additional years of study, specializing in a particular branch of the chosen subject (e.g. particle physics, nuclear engineering, etc.). This degree requires a more complex thesis work, usually involving some academic research or an internship in a private company.
    The third level, after a further 3 years of study, is the Dottorato di ricerca (equivalent to a Doctorate of Philosophy). This degree is mainly devoted to research, with a final thesis on the results of the research undertaken.

< Previous | Next >