The geometer is a professional who mainly works in the construction sector and real estate. The Royal Decree February 11, 1929, n. 274 establishing the profession in Italy, enable the geometer in carrying out many technical skills, including the design and direction of common buildings’ work, the extent of land and estimated movable and immovable property.
Etymology and original vocation
The word geometer has the same genesis of geometry which is the composition of two Greek words "geo" and "meters", respectively, land and measure, indicates the original geometer vocation: that of “agrimensore”, that is "gauge of the earth".
The birth of the geometer’ s post is traced back the establishment of the Roman Legion, which was expected the figure of "mensor", a sort of ante litteram geometer responsible, among other tasks, to track lines basis of "castra aestiva" ; the temporary encampments that legionnaires built during their movements.
In 1929, the year of establishment of the modern geometer profession, the economic situation of Italy was very different from today: agriculture covered more than 80% of national GDP and gave work to about 90% of the population. Therefore it was needed a figure that had professional skills to measure rustic funds with the precision required for its proper exploitation or for a sale, that knew how to estimate single fund, which knew to build up buildings needed for its conduct, and that had a knowledge of cultivation techniques.
The today figure of geometer
Currently, the geometer has found a precise location in the liberal professions world of work it has became part of the category of technical intermediary will be adjusted from the liberal profession through the acquisition of degree (three years) in classes 4 -- 7-8 (starting in 2015). Today a geometer works as employee or as consultant inside of technical offices (often: Organizing Technical Unit - UOT or Manager sector) of the municipality. Being a professional expert in the specific regulations and their territory. Generally Technical Employees in public administration, holders of trust or professionals of estate agents, or charged by credit institutions, notary’ s chambers and courts estimates or expert opinion.
Even to put stamps on a Complaint Begin Activities (DIA), Building Permits (PdC) or other practices related to the design construction civil small claims. The geometer’ s activity has, however, suffered a change strictly linked to social change, material and scientific due to the transition from civilization to a service company and tertiary.
The title of geometer
The title of geometer is awarded once passed the state exam of the course of an “Institute for
Technical Geometer” (ITG) state or recognized. The course includes the study of fundamental matters, such as Italian, English, history, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, physical education. The subjects specific to address are: technical design, construction, technology, construction, valuation estimates, topography, law.
The Presidential Decree reform 328/01 and the one of secondary school (Moratti reform) will lead to exhaustion access to the profession through diploma described above and after 2015 it will be necessary to achieve degree (three years) in classes 4-7-8 to access all ' State examination.
According to Article 16 of R.D. n.274/1929, the professional skills of geometers are well established:
• a) topographical detection and measurement operations, triangular secondary straight sides and polygonation , determination and verification of boundaries; operations on land and estimate;
• b) the tracking of roadways and consortium and, also, where they have lesser importance, ordinary roads and irrigation canals and drainage;
• c) measure and division of rustic funds;
• d) measure and division of urban areas and small buildings civilians;
• e) estimates of areas and rustic funds, even for loans and land expropriation, estimates of damage by hail or by fire to rustic funds, and scores of damage farm to grass cultures, wood, fruit, leaf and wood.
Except cases of major economic importance and for those who, because of the complexity of factors, require special scientific and technical knowledge of doctors in agricultural science;
• f) even estimate for loans and land expropriation, urban areas and small buildings civilians; estimate of the damage caused by fires;
• g) estimate of immovable property, operations and delivery of goods and rural budgets and liquidations; value for the Constitution and elimination of rural servitude; estimate of irrigation water in the relations of agrarian funds served. Except in cases of major economic importance and for those, because of the complexity of factors, they require special scientific and technical knowledge of doctors in agricultural science;
• h) accounting and administrative functions in small and medium-sized farms;
• i) trust ship of small and medium-sized farms, because it does not import period exceeding one year and a real technical direction, assistance in land development contracts;
• l) project management, monitoring and liquidation of rural buildings and buildings for use of agricultural manufactories, of limited importance, ordinary structure, including small accessory buildings in reinforced concrete, which does not require special operations calculation and their destination can not involve danger to the safety of people, and of small works related to agricultural companies, such as roads nearby without significant works of art, works of irrigation and reclamation, provision of water for the same companies and allotment of spending on works related Consortium; however, exclusive, the drafting of general reclamation projects hydraulic and agricultural and related management;
• m) project, direction and supervision of modest buildings civilians;
• n) measure, accounting and liquidation of civil indicated in the letter m);
• o) measure, accounting and liquidation of rural construction work specified above;
• p) investigation and arbitrary functions regarding the powers first mentioned;
• q) tasks of municipal assessor for technical functions in ordinary municipalities with a population up to ten thousand inhabitants, excluding public works projects of importance or involving the resolution of major technical problems