Diploma in teoria e solfeggio

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by ExFalsoQuodlibet, Sep 29, 2008.

  1. ExFalsoQuodlibet Member

    Italian - Italy
    Buongiorno a tutti!

    Could someone help me out explaining if there is a diploma corresponding to the Italian `diploma in teoria e solfeggio' in the UK and the US and how it is called.
    Maybe `music theory and solfeggio diploma'?

    Thank you very much!

  2. TimLA

    TimLA Senior Member

    Los Angeles
    English - US
    I have found a reference to "degree in music theory and solfeggio", but I can't find any reference to an AE source.

    So I might be inclinded to say "degree in music theory" and then add parenthetically "(including solfeggio)".
  3. london calling Senior Member

    Hello, people!

    Exfalso, when you say "diploma", I assume you're referring to a diploma awarded by the Italian "Conservatorio"?

    Tim, if he means that, it's not a degree: the "Conservatorio" is a music school, not a university and it doesn't award degrees, but very high level qualifications in music.

    The Royal College of Music in London is a conservatoire, but its courses go from undergraduate to PhD, just like a University.

    I'd be tempted to leave the word "Diploma" in this case! I suppose you could also add something like "advanced musical education at University level".
  4. ExFalsoQuodlibet Member

    Italian - Italy
    hi TimLa and london calling,

    thanks for replying.

    Indeed, it is a a diploma awarded by the Italian Conservatoire after passing an exam. Each student has to go through it before going on with the study of their instrument and obtaining a degree.

    I'll be sticking to Diploma in Music Theory, then.

    Thanks a lot.


    p.s. I'm a lady. ;)
  5. Puccini Senior Member

    English- British
    Happened to come across this link years later! If anyone is interested, solfeggio can also be used in English or alternatively it is possible to use solfège (from the French) or sol-fa. In Britain we don't usually study music in this way, so I think it is best to leave the term in Italian - hence "Diploma in (music) theory and solfeggio"

Share This Page