"diploma work"?

< Previous | Next >

forejtv

Hello, I'd like to ask if it is possible to use diploma work or diploma thesis as synonyms to master's thesis. I would say that the first is not possible while the latter is, but Google returns surprisingly many results for both.
Thanks for your answers.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello forejtv - welcome to WordReference.

I would be very surprised indeed if these were synonyms.
    A masters degree is not the same as a diploma.

There are, of course, many examples of both diploma thesis and masters thesis. That does not mean that they are in any way equivalent, does it?

forejtv

Actually, this is the answer that I expected, thank you very much indeed. Then I have another question: can you use diploma work at all? Can you use work in the meaning of thesis? In Czech, they are both translated as one word (práce), but I think that they are not related in English. Am I right?

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    If you are working toward a diploma, I'm sure you could describe the various things you are doing as "diploma work" in certain contexts, but I wouldn't use "work" as a synonym for "thesis" in any situation, whether the thesis was for a diploma, an honours degree, a Masters or a PhD.

Last edited:

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I understand, forejtv, because Hebrew also uses work in the same way. English does not, though, as they others said.

Cycloneviv's explanation is perfect.

< Previous | Next >