diportista

• CPA

British English/Italian - bilingual
    Però la barca del diportista può anche essere un motoscafo o un gommone, oltre che uno yacht. :(

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    Yes because a yacht is intended solely as a barca a vela
    Not really. A yacht is simply a vessel used for private cruising, racing, or other noncommercial purposes.
    You can qualify it further by calling it a motor-yacht or a sailing yacht.

Going back to the original question, I guess diportista can be translated with pleasure boater to allow for non-yacht craft.

pinco pallino

italiano
    I can insure you that when you say yacht in any English spiking country is refried as a barca a vela.
    I am a yachty my self in Australia for the last 30 years and very familiar with the term.

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    I can insure:eek: you that when you say yacht in any English spiking:eek: country is refried:eek: as a barca a vela.
    I can assure you this is not the case. Google it and you'll be surprised.
    This particular link contains a list of yacht-builders and both sailing yachts and motor-yachts are represented.

PS: besides, yacht without a modifier is hardly ever used.

Last edited:

CPA

EU directives speak of recreational or pleasure craft. Since the "diportista" may not own the thing, TR's "pleasure boater" is probably the best bet.

koodip

USA
    English-American
    Perhaps this is a difference between Australian English and other regional English. In AE, yacht refers frequently to a motorized vessel, althought it also can refer to a sailing vessel.

Rival

English - UK
    I can insure you that when you say yacht in any English spiking country is refried as a barca a vela.
    I am a yachty my self in Australia for the last 30 years and very familiar with the term.
    Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, has a vessel referred to as The Royal Yacht Britannia.

As someone who has been a 'yachty' in Australia for the last 30 years, you may have heard of it.

If you look it up on Google Images you'll see that it something more than a 'barca a vela'.

(Hint -- it has a crew of 240 people.)

CPA

Just for the record, the Royal Yacht Britannia was decommissioned in 1997 and it has always been the property of the British Government. ;)

Rival

English - UK
    Technically, Britannia is/was part of the Royal Navy -- but that's her navy anyway :rolleyes:

However, regardless of who "owns" Britannia, my point was to illustrate at least one 'Yacht' that something more than a 'barca a vela'

marmalò

italian
    Not really. A yacht is simply a vessel used for private cruising, racing, or other noncommercial purposes.
    You can qualify it further by calling it a motor-yacht or a sailing yacht.

Going back to the original question, I guess diportista can be translated with pleasure boater to allow for non-yacht craft.
    I completely agree: yacht is a world that becomes from Holland and that means simply a vessel (both big or small) used for private cruising, racing, noncommercial purposes; unfurtunately in Italy people think that this word mean Big Boat with Big Crew in it...no: if you have a little boat you are a yachtman! so be happy and have fun! bye

< Previous | Next >