Dipping his webbed flippers into the pool of climate change

< Previous | Next >

palabra86

Spanish
Ben shapiro is an american conservative politcian, he argue that due to climate change pepople will leave their home.
I'm strugling to understand what they wantend to say with the first part "dipping his webbed flippers"
Is this an expression? methapor?

Another unclear expression here is pool of climate change any idea to understand this part will be welcome :)

Hbmomberguy: Here he is dipping his webbed flippers into the pool of climate change with his signature Shapiro intellect.
Ben Shapiro: So let’s say, let’s say, for the sake of argument, that all of the water levels around the world rise by- by, let’s say, five feet over the next hundred years.
(Video, climate change)

Last edited:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I think we need some context. Who is “Hbmomberguy?” Who is Ben Shapiro? What is going on in the situation, and what has been said thus far?

Jektor

English (UK)
    More context would be helpful, but it sounds like a "tongue in cheek" metaphor for a person who is so "immersed" in the subject of climate change that he is as "at home" in the subject as a (webbed) animal whose natural habitat is water. "pool of climate change" = "subject/discussion of climate change"; "his webbed flippers" = animal/human whose natural habit is the subject (pool) of climate change.

palabra86

Spanish
    The speaker who seems to make fun of climate change (As I understand) he is watching Ben Shapiro that speaks about this change climate matter. This is quite most of the context...

Thank you Jektor, sadly I still don't understand it, I need please another explantion but in another words... I'm working my way in order to understand thanks again

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Without adequate context, it is difficult for us to be more helpful. Please try again to answer the questions I asked you in #2.

palabra86

Spanish
    Sorry, I see it now, Ben shapiro is an american conservative politcian, he argue that due to climate change people will leave their home. There is the second speaker, that watched this part of the speech, and to my understanding makes fun of Ben's speech, i still don't know who is the other character but I will keep looking

If that might help, in the end of the video, short time after that the politian says that due to climate change people might sell the house, the second speaker says "Just one small problem. SELL THE HOUSES TO WHO, BEN? FU..ING AQUAMAN?!"

kentix

English - U.S.
    Accusing someone of having webbed feet (like flippers) is a long-standing way to accuse someone of being primitive, like a dumb animal. I'm sure it's meant as an insult.

The "climate change pool" is figurative, and just means "the topic of climate change" but it fits with the concept of flippers, so it's more memorable.

"His signature Shapiro intellect" is also an insult. They are saying his intellect isn't very impressive or high level and these comments are dumb like his past comments. They are making fun of his comments.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >