dippy poo poo and princess porridge

< Previous | Next >

Alaska98

Slovenian
Below is a conversation between a father and a daughter on the phone. What does dippy poo poo and princess porridge mean: urinating and defecating or could princess porridge have to do with eating?

"Now that it’s late enough in California, he calls the house, and talks through Teddy’s breakfast with her – ‘You did dippy poo poo but not princess porridge?’

• Alaska98

Slovenian
    The source is Robbie Williams' book Reveal which I'm translating into Slovene. The context is that he lives in London and his family in Los Angeles. He is calling his 4-year daughter and over her breakfast he is catching up on what's been going on.

Loob

English UK
    Well, they're talking about the child's breakfast, so urinating/defecating seems pretty unlikely. And "poo" can be a diminutive as in drinkie-poo.
    I imagine that princess porridge is just that - porridge (maybe porridge fit for a princess?)
    And dippy poo poo is probably something into which the child dips a spoon: boiled egg? yoghurt?
    Children make up their own words for things:).

Last edited:

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I think you probably have it Loob. :thumbsup: (I was getting sidetracked by the 'poo poo' part! :))

boiled egg
    I seem to remember a soft boiled egg with bread/toast soldiers sometimes being called 'dippy eggs' as a child. It's easy to see how they might play with that to come up with their own invention of 'dippy poo poo'. :) (As you say it could be anything you dip into, but I think a boiled egg is very likely.)

Dippy eggs with Marmite soldiers

I imagine that princess porridge is just that - porridge (maybe porridge fit for a princess?)
    :thumbsup:

I think that's meant to be the idea. From what I can find out 'princess porridge' appears to be porridge with blueberries, and 'pink princess porridge' seems to be made with cranberries. It seems as though it is a luxury version or a 'posh porridge'. :D

Here are some princess dippy poo poo eggs (using asparagus soldiers) :D
    Dippy Egg & Soldiers | Family Basics | Jamie Oliver

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    'Dippy poo poo' is probably the family name for soft-boiled eggs, which is why it isn't in any dictionary. Every family has language which no-one else understands (napkins/serviettes are known as 'harry wipers' in my family, an expression invented by my grandmama in the 1930s:)).

< Previous | Next >