Dire Act [Dyer Act]

danny_1952

Français
Dans une phrase concernant une arrestation par la police, j'ai trouvé cette phrase, dont je ne comprends pas le sens de l'expression "Dire Act".

"I was jailed on two federal charges – one for taking a minor across a state line, called Dire Act, and another for taking a minor across a state line for immoral purposes."

Étant donné que c'est mis en majuscule, je ne crois pas que cela signifie seulement "acte grave". Mais qu'est-ce que ça pourrait signifier sinon ?

J'ai tenté de trouver la même expression dans des dictionnaires en ligne, mais je n'ai rien vu.

Y a-t-il quelqu'un avec un dictionnaire ou des connaissances juridiques qui pourrait me répondre ?

• misterk

English-American
    I'm pretty sure the reference is to the Dyer Act, which relates to transporting a vehicle across state lines in the US.

Dyer Act: The Dyer Act, also called the National Motor Vehicle Theft Act (18 U.S.C.A. § 2311 et seq.), was enacted in 1919 to impede the interstate trafficking of stolen vehicles by organized thieves.

Last edited:

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    And I'm pretty sure that misterk nailed it. :thumbsup:

Dyer is indeed mispelled as Dire in the book - and it's hard to tell whether or not the author did it on purpose - but the actual sentence is :
    I was jailed on two federal charges — one for taking a stolen car across a state line, called Dire Act, and another for taking a minor across a state line for immoral purposes.

danny_1952

Français
    I'm pretty sure the reference is to the Dyer Act, which relates to transporting a vehicle across state lines in the US.

Dyer Act: The Dyer Act, also called the National Motor Vehicle Theft Act (18 U.S.C.A. § 2311 et seq.), was enacted in 1919 to impede the interstate trafficking of stolen vehicles by organized thieves.

Thanks a lot. I'm translating a book in French and this "Act" was in two different places in the book. You saved my life! ;)