direct, director, direction, directory

stella_maris_74

Mod About Chocolate
Italian - Italy
Since we're talking about correct pronounciation, I hope I'm not off topic by bringing another controversial item into focus:

direct, director, direction, directory...

I've heard them pronounced dàirect, dairèctor, dairèction dairèctory (where ài/ai is like in item) aswell as dìrect, dirèctor, dirèction, dirèctory (where i is like in invasion). Also, I've heard both dìrect and dirèct, aswell as dàirect and dairèct.
:confused:

In Italy some of them are more frequently heard than others, example you'd hear "art dirèctor/dirèction" and "pick a file in that dirèctory", but also "dàirect marketing"...

Someone told me that there's a difference between BE and AE pronounciation, is this right?
And by all means... what the heck is the standard, most correct one? This has been bothering me for years now...

Thanks in advance,

dani

• TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    direct, director, direction, directory...

I've heard them pronounced as dàirect, dairèctor, dairèction dairèctory (where ài/ai is like in item) as well as dìrect, dirèctor, dirèction, dirèctory (where i is like in invasion). Also, I've heard both dìrect and dirèct, aswell as dàirect and dairèct.
    Dani, the WR dictionary entries for direct, director, and direction have audiofiles of the AE and BE pronunciations of these words. The "long i" (as in item) pronunciation seems to be standard in BE, while the "short i" (as in information) applies in AE. However, there are regional or even persoanl variations in AE, where you will occasionally hear dàirect.

Ciao!
    Elisabetta