Directeurs opérationnels

< Previous | Next >
In trying to convert the titles used in organizational structures in France to similar or equivalent ones used in the US, beaucoup de problèmes!

I searched WR & grandictionnaire.com, but only SOME are listed. Any one who is French or American, but who has worked on both sides of the Atlantic, in both organizational cultures....could I ask your help?

Directeurs opérationnels = Directors of Operations? (there are are several in a French company and they can't all have the same title, so I guess it is a CLASS of directors)

• Thanks...but there they are working with RESPONSABLE opérationel, here with DIRECTEUR. Intuitively, I think there is a big difference, which might be reflected in the translation. What could Directeur Operationnel be?

From the thread you cited, hunternet:

Manager of Operations (?), but it doesn't sound like anything I have heard in use in organizations.

Line manager (?) doesn't sound equivalent to a Director, nor does Supervisor (?).

Director of Operations (?)...seems straightforward. Is that a real, currently used, organizational title?

Operations Manager (?), but I don't think Directeur can be translated just as Manager.

Operational Coordinator (?), doesn't sound like a Directeur, sounds too low-level.

hunternet

France - French
    Thanks...but there they are working with RESPONSABLE opérationel, here with DIRECTEUR. Intuitively, I think there is a big difference, which might be reflected in the translation.
    A big difference ? I don't think so.
    "responsable" and "directeur" are very similar in France.

well, if you really need this difference :

operational manager (responsable) / operational director (directeur)

Could be that the two terms are "very similar" in France, but in the US that is not the case.

Operational Director is logical, but I would like to know from someone in the US if such a title exists.

It is not just a question of TRANSLATING, but of seeking the equivalent title in the US. The equivalent title may not be just a translation of the French term.

< Previous | Next >