direction lever = steering lever? [car]

< Previous | Next >

frangs

Spanish Spain
Can someone confirm if "direction lever" is exactly the same as "steering lever" in a car or not?

Thanks in advance.

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    In AE we have directional signals which are actuated by a kind of "lever," but I've never heard it called that. When it's referred to at all, it's simply called "directional." "Put your directional on."

frangs

Spanish Spain
    Well, If I knew what these devices do I'd know if they are exactly the same or different.

I only know they are mechanical parts of a car (that's for sure), but I don't know if they can be used interchangeably. My doubt is because "steering" and "direction" are usually synonyms in the automotive field, but I don't know about this particular case.

Someone with knowledge about mechanics should know the answer (It's not my case)

Thanks for responding.

frangs

Spanish Spain
    Thanks for the answer cyberpedant.

As far as I know, this "direction lever" generates a "forward-reverse direction signal" (they are part of a car electronic system). I wonder if this is what a "steering lever" does aswell.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Where did you see this list? What is its purpose?
    What country is it from, or in what variety of English is it written?
    The names for car parts vary from country to country, and technical writing may contain terms that are unfamiliar to anyone outside that particular field.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Some very old cars were steered by levers, like this one. Some futuristic design concepts use levers for steering, like this one. However, the concept of a "steering lever" does not apply to any car produced for general sale in at least the past 75 or so years, or that will probably be produced for general sale in the near future. It is not a phrase that anyone uses.

Electric cars that do not have the usual type of transmission have a lever that selects forward (D, for Drive) or reverse (R) motion*. (This picture shows the lever in a Toyota Prius.) This could be called a "direction lever," though I've never heard it called that. Most people call it a "transmission lever" by analogy with gasoline- and diesel-powered cars.

< Previous | Next >