Diritto all'accoglienza

Ubuntu89

Italian
Hello everybody!

I wrote a thesis about political asylum and I have to translate the abstract in english. I need some help with the expression "diritto all'accoglienza".... (and honestly I will appreciate if some native speaker checks my whole translation :))

"Infine, parallelamente ad una breve analisi statistica della situazione italiana in termini di immigrazione ed asilo, sono state messe in evidenza quelle che sono le falle del sistema a livello legislativo, burocratico e strutturale, le quali, in concomitanza con le forti implicazioni psicologiche derivanti da pregiudizi culturali dei nativi in relazione alla figura del diverso, fanno sì che molto spesso il diritto all'accoglienza si trasformi in un’inesorabile condanna alla disumanizzazione."

My attempt:

"In closing, together with a brief statistical analysis of italian situation in relation to immigration and asylum subjects, it has been highlighted a series of legislative, bureaucratic and structural issues which, at the same time as the natives’ cultural prejudices related to diversity and their remarkable psychological implications, ensure that the right to reception often turns into an inescapable dehumanizing condemnation."

• Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Benvenuto. Una nota, anche per chi si offrira' di aiutarti. Questo forum non e' un servizio gratuito di traduzioni o di correzione di bozze.

Lo scopo e' di accogliere quesiti specifici, come il tuo, in modo da costruire una base dati ordinata e tale da poter essere consultata in futuro anche da altri.

MR1492

English -USA
    "In closing, together with a brief statistical analysis of the italian Italian situation in relation to immigration and asylum subjects, it has been highlighted a series of legislative, bureaucratic and structural issues which, at the same time as the natives’ cultural prejudices related to diversity and their remarkable psychological implications, ensure that the right to reception often turns into an inescapable dehumanizing condemnation."
    Since you asked, I thought I would offer the above. Remember, in English, we capitalize nationalities. As to "right to reception", I see where you are going. While it appears correct, non suona bene as we often hear in the WRF! It is a phrase which I, as a native AE speaker, didn't just understand but had to think about for a bit before it became understandable.

You might want to consider "the right to be received" as a translation for Diritto all'accoglienza. I'm not 100 percent certain but it just sounds a little better to me. Plus, in political writings here in the USA, we often use the "the right to be XXXX" construction so it would be understood relatively quickly by AE speakers.

Finally, just a reminder that while long sentences are not a problem in Italian, they are often considered "run-on sentences" in English. We tend to break those long Italian sentences into two (or more) shorter sentences. I'm not certain this one can be done and keep the flow of the narrative but it is something to consider for the future.

Phil

Ubuntu89

Italian
    Benvenuto. Una nota, anche per chi si offrira' di aiutarti. Questo forum non e' un servizio gratuito di traduzioni o di correzione di bozze.

Lo scopo e' di accogliere quesiti specifici, come il tuo, in modo da costruire una base dati ordinata e tale da poter essere consultata in futuro anche da altri.
    Odysseus54 mi dispiace aver dato l'impressione sbagliata, utilizzare il sito come un servizio gratuito di traduzioni non era il mio intento. Ho semplicemente cercato di rispettare le linee guida: ho posto il mio quesito specifico, ho riportato l'intero contesto e ho fornito la mia traduzione. Proprio perchè non ho chiesto a terzi di tradurre per me ho infine chiesto a qualche madrelingua se il mio tentativo andasse bene per evitare di scrivere errori/orrori linguistici (cosa che peraltro ho visto fare spesso in questo forum motivo per il quale credevo si potesse fare)
    In ogni caso se chiedere un consiglio di questo tipo non è permesso, mi scuso.

Since you asked, I thought I would offer the above. Remember, in English, we capitalize nationalities. As to "right to reception", I see where you are going. While it appears correct, non suona bene as we often hear in the WRF! It is a phrase which I, as a native AE speaker, didn't just understand but had to think about for a bit before it became understandable.

You might want to consider "the right to be received" as a translation for Diritto all'accoglienza. I'm not 100 percent certain but it just sounds a little better to me. Plus, in political writings here in the USA, we often use the "the right to be XXXX" construction so it would be understood relatively quickly by AE speakers.

Finally, just a reminder that while long sentences are not a problem in Italian, they are often considered "run-on sentences" in English. We tend to break those long Italian sentences into two (or more) shorter sentences. I'm not certain this one can be done and keep the flow of the narrative but it is something to consider for the future.

Phil
    Thank you very much Phil!

Hello Ubuntu and welcome!

Try "diritto all'accoglienza" = "entitlement to reception".

Bye,

Benzene
    Thank you Benzene

Last edited by a moderator:

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    A question for Ubuntu - when you say 'diritto all'accoglienza' , do you mean 'diritto d'asilo' ( a proper right under the Universal Declaration, which only applies to certain categories of people ) , or do you refer to a moral, not legal principle, an expectation which you find legitimate, of unconditional admission into a country ?

If it is the former, 'right to asylum' is the standard expression.

If it is the latter, I would not use 'right', but perhaps 'claim', as in 'claim to admission'.

It all depends, however, on the conceptual framework of your dissertation. Are you making the point that admission is a universal and unconditional right ?

If that's the case, I would perhaps say 'right to entry/admission'.

Ubuntu89

Italian
    A question for Ubuntu - when you say 'diritto all'accoglienza' , do you mean 'diritto d'asilo' ( a proper right under the Universal Declaration, which only applies to certain categories of people ) , or do you refer to a moral, not legal principle, an expectation which you find legitimate, of unconditional admission into a country ?

If it is the former, 'right to asylum' is the standard expression.

If it is the latter, I would not use 'right', but perhaps 'claim', as in 'claim to admission'.

It all depends, however, on the conceptual framework of your dissertation. Are you making the point that admission is a universal and unconditional right ?

If that's the case, I would perhaps say 'right to entry/admission'.
    Odysseus54 Neither of them. As I wrote my thesis concerns political asylum, so I'm talking about asylum seekers, the category of people that can enjoy the right to asylum. "Diritto all'accoglienza" is something stated in EU Directive 2003/9/CE and in D.Lgs. 140/05, they set out minimum standards of reception conditions for asylum seekers in order to ensure them a dignified standard of living. So I'm not referring to a personal opinion, the "diritto all'accoglienza" is a proper right for all asylum seekers and a legal duty for all Member States.

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Very clear, thanks - I was completely off track.

As AB said, 'right to reception' is not that clear. I don't think it conveys the concept of the 'right to a proper reception', which seems to be the idea here.

Maybe 'reception rights' ?

CPA

British English/Italian - bilingual
    The right to reception (of asylum seekers) è una frase largamente usata nei documenti dei vari Stati membri della UE.

MR1492

English -USA
    The right to reception (of asylum seekers) è una frase largamente usata nei documenti dei vari Stati membri della UE.
    Thanks, CPA. This wasn't completely clear to me based on the earlier posts. I can see where for an EU audience the term might be self-explanatory. I would only advise Ubuntu89 that for an AE-speaking/reading audience, it might not be immediately known and some explanation (in footnotes or an appendix) might be required.

Phil

Ubuntu89

Italian
    Ok! So "right to reception" is fine but it would be better if I put some explanation in a footnote....got it!:thumbsup:

Thanks CPA and thank you all guys for your help and advice!

Cattivo

American English
    Thanks, CPA. This wasn't completely clear to me based on the earlier posts. I can see where for an EU audience the term might be self-explanatory. I would only advise Ubuntu89 that for an AE-speaking/reading audience, it might not be immediately known and some explanation (in footnotes or an appendix) might be required.

Phil
    I agree. Even after the explanation, it still sounds strange to me. Is there a marked difference between reception and admission in this rule/law? I seem to lean towards using admission.

Ubuntu89

Italian
    I agree. Even after the explanation, it still sounds strange to me. Is there a marked difference between reception and admission in this rule/law? I seem to lean towards using admission.
    Yes, legally speaking it's different, because these reception conditions are something that every member state has to apply when an asylum seeker has been alrealdy admitted in the country (through the asylum request).

So "diritto all'accoglienza" has nothing to do with the admission, it's related to the way asylum seekers are going to live in that country.

I think that "admission" might be ambiguous....Is there something like this in US? Maybe it sounds strange to you because you call it differently.

Cattivo

American English
    So "diritto all'accoglienza" has nothing to do with the admission, it's related to the way asylum seekers are going to live in that country.

If this is the case, and you are writing for the EU, if "reception" means this, then you should stick with that. If you're writing for Americans, one word doesn't exactly work, in my opinion. In this context, if you needed something technical sounding, "...ensures their assimilation/destiny/fortune in(to) society..." I would think conveys the meaning.

< Previous | Next >