disciplined the fashion press?

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
The Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture fought piracy, disciplined the fashion press, and upheld standards, including the manner in which original designs could be sold to large redy-to-wear firms in Britain and America.

What does "disciplined the fashion press" mean?

• timpeac

English (England)
    It's hard to say without knowing more about the situation, but I'd guess it means that whenever the fashion press did or said something they didn't like they took the time to admonish the fashion press (which suggests that they are a strong body that the fashion press would automatically listen to).

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
    I'm afraid there's no more context explaning the situation.
    But your answer hepled me so much. Thank you.

GenJen54

USA - English
    I think disciplined the press in this context also means they "trained" the press to better understand the Couture place in the fashion world, so the media could more accurately report on the couture industry and designers.

True Haute Couture is made only in France, and is produced by a very few fashion houses (fewer than twenty), who must be registered and licensed with the Syndicat. The process to become a Couture house is extremely rigorous, since these designs must be all HAND MADE, no machine sewing whatsoever. Not all fashion houses are given the the designation of "Couture," even though for a long time the media and other fasionistas would call any expensive and elegant clothing "Couture" even when it was not.

I think this "discipline" was a continued and consistent education of the press to understand the difference between elegant fashion and real Haute Couture.

< Previous | Next >