disciplines organized in three...

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
Hi, everybody,

I've got a problem finding the right word in a sentence.The context refers to a description of a university teaching policy.

'The mandatory elective disciplines are organized in three directions - general, crop production and agricultural mechanization.'

In my opinion, 'direction' is awkward here and I'd like to replace it with a better term, but I'm at a loss right now.

Thank you in advance.

• tepatria

Canadian English
    Catagories, areas, sub-groups

The mandatory elective disciplines - does not make sense - how can they be mandatory and elective at the same time? - are organized into three - sounds better to my ears. Hope this helps

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Thank you, I liked 'area' most.Well, we have 5 mandatory courses, and, according to school regulations, I have to apply for three of them.So, they are simultaneously mandatory and elective. At least this is how we proceed here.But, if you disagree with my 'mandatory elective', I'd be more than happy to have your suggestions.

tepatria

Canadian English
    That sounds like you have a choice in mandatory courses. We use electives to denote courses that one chooses to fill out a course load. For example, while taking my sociology degree I chose to take the classics in film. It was not related to sociology, but rounded out my learning very well. My son had to take some sort of history or literature or arts courses when he took his Aerospace Engineering degree. These were electives outside his course of study. Does this help. I'm afraid I am confusing you rather than explaining.

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    No, from your standpoint, I can see what you mean and now I 'm the confused one :)). Look what I found on the net:...(mandatory, mandatory-electives and elective seminars)...The funnier thing is that's exactly how I would translate these from Bulgarian into English. I think this bounds on extralinguistic matters, we have certain things that you do not and vice versa.

aplomb

India, Hindi,English
    Hi nikkieli,
    I think you can use the word "categories" in place of "directions"

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Thank you for everything, guys! I have one final favour to ask of you. With your help I think I managed to make a decent piece of translation. Still, I 'd be grateful for any additional remarks.

The mandatory disciplines are organized into three areas- general, crop production and agricultural mechanization. Prior to the commencement of their studies, students apply for a selected area which extends over the entire period of studies.

< Previous | Next >